Campus Celebrity: Michael Gulston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

You’ve seen him on campus rocking his Sig Rho letters, working as a Student Aide, or maybe you’ve seen him salsa with SALSEROS…

Meet Michael, this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Name: Michael Gulston

Class Year: 2016

Major(s): Political Science and Environmental Studies

Hometown: East Stroudsburg, PA

What is your campus involvement?: I am the president of Sigma Beta Rho, a multicultural greek fraternity on campus. Our goal is to be a social organization but also provide an inclusive and culturally aware presence within the Greek community. I am also a 110 for Student Aide, which means I help run the Student Aide program for Public Safety. I am part of SALSEROS, but I have not been very active with the club because I have focusing on doing well academically this semester and looking for an internship. Other than that, I try my best to participate in events held by other organizations and support their efforts and mission on campus. We all have to support each other to make a difference. I hope to get more involved in my final semester with organizations I have not worked with before.

How did you get involved in these organizations/clubs/activities?: I got involved with all of these things by networking. I met the right people at the right time.

Favorite thing about the U of R: My favorite thing about the U of R is campus … it is beautiful. Even though the Genesee isn’t the prettiest river, it’s still nice to take walks along the trail.

Something others might not know about you?: I am a softy for cats. <3

Mr. U of R is coming up this Thursday! What are we in for?: You are in for a great time! I hope to amaze the audience with my sincerity and charm. For my talent, I plan to recite an original spoken word poem, bringing me way out of my comfort zone but I’m excited. It would be nice to win the title, but I am hoping more to enjoy the experience and meet new people.

Advice for incoming freshmen?: Be yourself, and don’t be afraid to try new things. PLEASE talk to as many people as you can during the first couple of weeks. Orientation is such a valuable time to make new friends as you transition into the college life. Also, don’t feel pressured into targeting your major as soon as you get here. The U of R offers a flexible schedule with tons of great classes. Definitely consider taking a class in something that interests you.

Dream Job: I could go scuba diving and look at coral reef ecosystems all day!

Life Motto: “Do what you have to do, then do what you want to do.” Basically what I’m trying to say is that yes, college has many great opportunities to get involved and yes it is easy to lose focus from your academics to give time to those opportunities, but always remember why you are here: to get a good education. Make sure you prioritize the right things in your college career.

Don’t forget to check out Michael this Thursday at SDT’s Mr. U of R event!

Franny Pamoukian is a senior at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and Psychology with a minor in Studio Arts. A city girl at heart, she is an active blogger, fashionista and art enthusiast.