Campus Celebrity: Matt McCormick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is an awesome Ultimate Frisbee player, a senior class senator, and possibly one of the tallest people on campus, Matt McCormick. Matt’s positive attitude on life and his involvement on campus have gained him the reputation of the coolest kid on the block. Whether it’s through motivational words or a big bear hug, he has the ability to brighten up anyone’s day. Keep reading to learn all about his dance techniques!

Hometown: Canandaigua, NY

Class year: 2015

Major: Religion & International Relations

Favorite food: Lasagna

Favorite thing about University of Rochester: “I like the people, the U of R is not a cutthroat university, and people generally seem to want to work for and with each other, and achieve work through extracurricular activities.”

Campus involvement: Student Government, Club Ultimate Frisbee, Summer 2013 Orientation Leader, and saying hi to people.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years: “I see myself living abroad. I want to get involved in international youth work, whether that’s international education or something else. Hopefully I will be in a serious relationship or married by that time.”

Something people might not know about you: “I have a twin brother and identical twin sisters. I have a very big family, and I am very competitive since I was compared to my twin when we were growing up. I also like to dance in front of my mirror at home just to see how bad I am. I practice and I am still as bad.”

Who is your role model: “My parents are my role models. They worked very hard to raise me, and made sure their children were conscious about who they were and how they treated others. My ability to be successful and treat people respectfully came from my parents.”

Life motto: “The motto of my summer camp was “the other fellow first,” and I think a good place to start for anyone is to put the other person first and be true to yourself.”

Favorite place in the whole world: “Germany is my favorite country. I am lucky and blessed to have had the opportunity to go there four times, and I will be returning this summer for the fifth time. I also love the feeling of being in the airport and looking at the boards to find my flight.”

What advice do you have for others: “Take advantage of your time here, go to lectures, go to a protest, and go to a friend’s dance performance. It is the only time to be available around so many people your age. If you don’t take advantage of it, now may be the only chance you have.”

Nancy is a senior at the University of Rochester majoring in Business and minoring in Studio Arts. She is an avid photographer and painter, and loves to create portraits. She just came back abroad from the United Arab Emirates and loved travelling in the past 5 months.