Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Rochester Blog

Sundress Day

By Matt Skurnick
April 30, 2011 - 3:13pm

READ MORE

The Prague Chronicles: Get at Me/Friends All Over the World

By Marina Isaacson
April 29, 2011 - 4:24pm

The Czechs… they do not age well. READ MORE

The Highlights of the Rochester Summer

By Kaitlin Carragher
April 22, 2011 - 10:50pm

As the semester winds down, many of us will soon head home for a summer jobs, internships, and the comforts of home.  However, many others opt to stay in our beloved Rochester for the summer, maybe even experiencing the first 80 degree weather this city has seen in months.  Below is a list of some of the many attractions Rochester has to offer in the summer months.

READ MORE

The Prague Chronicles: On the Fringe of Society

By Marina Isaacson
April 22, 2011 - 3:21pm

Most children, when asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” will say something along the lines of “Firefighter!”, “Astronaut!” or even “Princess!” However, this is not so for a group of young children filmed as part of an enlightening documentary about the plight of the Roma population in the Czech Republic. My Psychoanalysis class watched in disbelief as the children listed careers like “brick-layer”, “ditch-digger”, and “cleaning lady” as their dream goals. How is it possible, that in this modern, democratic society in Europe, such a sub-culture is so marginalized?

READ MORE

Pardy Ardy Goes Euro: Nightlife Abroad

By Arden Witheford
April 16, 2011 - 2:30pm

READ MORE

The Prague Chronicles: Witches’ Hammer

By Marina Issacson
April 16, 2011 - 2:16pm

READ MORE

The Prague Chronicles: “Praha ha-ha ha hahahaha!”

By Marina Isaacson
April 9, 2011 - 12:00am

Today was a typical Thursday morning. My alarm went off at 7:55 am, and I hit the snooze button twice. I finally rolled out of my lumpy bed at 8:05 with a resigned heave and sigh. What, might you ask, would spur me to rise and shine at this ungodly hour? Why, beginner’s Czech class twice a week at 8:50 am of course! I don’t want to be overdramatic… but that class is the bane of my existence. At least now when I stumble from my room to the bathroom the sun is already streaming through the windows—two months ago the apartment would have been pitch-black.
READ MORE

The Prague Chronicles: Put Your Ceská Face On

By Marina Isaacson
April 1, 2011 - 6:17pm

By now I think we all know that Prague is a pretty cool place to check out. For a small capital city, it packs a lot of punch. However, please allow me to discuss some small, minor facts and idiosyncrasies that I have noticed and observed in my time here.
  READ MORE

Gay Best Friend Stephan: How To Pull A Sweet Prank On April Fools Day!

By Stephan Baxter
April 1, 2011 - 12:57pm

Hey, hey ladies! Sorry you missed me last week. I was forced to go to therapy when it snowed again after being like 60 degrees here. God damnit Rochester. But! I figured that one mental health week off is better than permanently packing my bags and eloping to San Fran with Javier (hmmm… I still might do it…) But ANYWAY! Let’s talk about my absolute favorite holiday in April. Yes, even more important to me than Easter, Earth Day, and Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day (ya, it’s a real holiday, google that sh*t), is April Fools Day!

READ MORE

The Prague Chronicles: Meet Me in Barcelona?

By Marina Isaacson
March 26, 2011 - 3:02pm

You know the feeling after a long summer away from your friends at college? How much you miss them, and the way you become yourself around them? Remember how as the clock winds down to move-in day again, you find yourself immeasurably agitated with excitement? Well, this feeling was magnified in me a hundredfold for the days leading up to last weekend.  After a long month in the Ceské republiky, I was finally going to see friends of mine from UR, namely Alissa, Katie, and Laura. But this time our joyful reunion wouldn’t be on the Phase bridge or at the Starbucks counter, it would be at Alissa’s tiny flat in Barcelona.
READ MORE