Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Rochester Blog

5 Months and Counting: Lauren Spierer

By Lindsay Simon
November 3, 2011 - 8:46pm

5 months ago from today, a barely 5’ tall, blonde Sophomore girl in college went missing in the town of Bloomington, Indiana. The last time Lauren Spierer was seen is estimated to have been around 4 in the morning, walking home from a friend’s apartment alone. Since then, there have only been rumors circulating her disappearance. No one has spoken out, and nearly every person in question has been cleared of suspicious charges. The only lead that bore some hope involved a truck that had been spotted on surveillance video around the area where Lauren was last seen, yet it was later determined that the truck was most likely uninvolved. Since this summer, new information has been difficult to find and prospects have been extraordinarily low....

How to Get Creative for Halloween

By Hilary Rosenthal
October 28, 2011 - 11:36am

Last night marked the last Halloween bar party I will attend at Rochester, and it was bittersweet for a number of reasons. Not amongst them was the fact that it felt like it was below zero degrees outside while we waited for the bus home, but other than that I got very emotional. Halloween is the only holiday we’re allowed to take outfits we’ve worn for crazy mixer themes and make them even crazier, sluttier, or both. There were definitely some hits, and then some misses, in the costume department last night. Because I’m looking out for you here, I’ve decided to put together a few suggestions of outfits you could put wear for the rest of Halloweekend. Check out the list below.

READ...

Meliora Weekend Off Campus Eating Suggestions

By Lindsay Simon
October 21, 2011 - 6:50pm

I always get excited when Meliora Weekend rolls around for a number of reasons. The speakers (in the years since I’ve been here we’ve had Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, Jim Gaffigan, and now Bill Clinton), the sprucing up of campus (and then subsequent negligence once it’s over), and -- most importantly -- the excellent meals I get when my parents come to visit. While it may come as a surprise to some, Rochester actually plays host to a large variety of delicious restaurants. I’ve encountered almost every sort of cuisine aside from Indian, which really does need some representation somewhere. I’ve compiled a list of great places I’ve been to that deserve some much-needed recognition. ...

Prime Suspect: Fall TV’s Newest Hit Show

By Lindsay Simon
October 14, 2011 - 3:45pm

At the end of every summer I always flip through the pages of Entertainment Weekly’s ‘Fall Lineup’ schedule to read about the new shows premiering on channels such as ABC, CW, NBC, etc. While I’ve never been a huge TV watcher (my favorites are really limited to Arrested Development, Law & Order: SVU, and Modern Family), I do like checking out the newest show or two to see if they’re any good. You always have your typical comedies, dramas, and now, apparently, horror shows (American Horror Story on FX), but it’s rare you ever find a really good police/crime storyline with solid characters. There have definitely been some that deserve mention; for example, ‘The Wire’ on HBO, and Southland on TNT are both worth the watch....

Arrested Development: Back On!

By Lindsay Simon
October 5, 2011 - 2:50pm

This week a helicopter crashed into the East River, Amanda Knox was cleared of all charges surrounding her indictment of murder, and Apple’s new iPhone 4S was officially announced. All of these headlines pale in comparison, however, to a statement made this past Sunday: Arrested Development, one of the funniest shows that has probably ever graced our television screens, will not only be making a reappearance in movie form, BUT ALSO is coming back for a limited, 10 episode season. Fans everywhere cried a little bit (okay, well I did) as the cast performed the chicken dance all together on stage. It was a magical moment.

For those of you who never witnessed an episode during the show’s three-season run on Fox, here’s a short run down of the...

Rochester Fall Activities

By Lindsay Simon
September 30, 2011 - 11:00pm

READ MORE

Movies to Look For

By Lindsay Simon
September 22, 2011 - 2:59pm

If there’s one thing I could do each and every day for the rest of my life it would be to go to the movies. Since my freshman year, I have rarely had the chance to do so while in school -- most of my movie frequenting has either been over vacations or during summer breaks. I will occasionally rent something on iTunes if it’s a film I’ve been dying to see for a while, and missed out on while it was in theaters, but otherwise I really can’t find the time between work/clubs/etc. to allot time for movies. In anticipation of a slew of great films that are making their debuts within the next few months, I have collaborated a list of must-sees that you should really try and make an effort to watch. READ MORE

Life Footnotes: Beginning of the...Beginning?

By Marina Issacson
September 17, 2011 - 2:52pm

Hey everyone! Welcome back to campus. It’s that time of year again. For some of us here at the U of R, it’s the last time, the last September we’ll be packing our bags to go to school. Many of us don’t know what the future may hold, but are certain the days of languishing on the academic quad, nights of cramming in the library, and endless dinners at Danforth are coming to a slow but sure end. I am one of those people, a senior this time around (finally), and I have a constant awareness that as the months pass by, as the year dwindles and then restarts in January, so my time as a college student expires. READ MORE

Ironic Indonesian Insanity

By Arden Witheford
September 9, 2011 - 11:39pm

READ MORE

The Prague Chronicles: Places I'll Remember

By Marina Isaacson
May 7, 2011 - 11:55pm

So it’s come at last: this is my final entry for my time spent in Prague. As of tomorrow (Friday the 6th) I will have one week left studying abroad in this city that lies deep in the heart of Europe. Between now and next weekend, I have three finals, a Czech oral, and a paper to get through (so much for coasting). Next Friday CIEE hosts a graduation ceremony for us, followed by a celebratory boat cruise along the Vltava. The following day, I leave to visit extended family in Greece for a week before finally taking the long flight home across the Atlantic to Fairport.
READ MORE