The Best Coffee Shops in Rochester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Another week, another week of coffee! This time, however, it’s city edition – as in I’m going to tell you about my favorite coffee shops in the city of Rochester! In my two years here, I have spent a lot of time studying in coffee shops close to campus and have even taken the bus just to explore new places. Rochester is great in that there is a huge range of coffee shops (and restaurants in general) to go to; it’s also a wonderful place for a java lover like me to explore. So here, in no particular order, are my favorite places to study and sip!

1. Brue Coffee, 960 Genesee Street

The best part of this quaint little coffee shop is the fact that it is just across the bridge and right across the street from Brooks. Brue is probably the coffee shop I visit the most often (including the ones on my list of my fave on-campus coffee houses from last week), because of how close it is and because of how good the coffee is there! The building itself is really cute and a great place to study. My favorite drink there is the chai latte (make it a dirty chai with a shot of espresso) and the cafe mocha – basically anything with their chai in it. Seriously, their chai is amazing. In addition, they play the dopest music there, which is a huge plus.

2. Equal Grounds, 750 South Avenue

I have only been to this coffee shop once, but I would highly recommend going there. I got a chai latte and it was warm and smelled amazing. Plus, there are board games to play here and the shop also supports local artists. In addition, the area that Equal Grounds is in (South Wedge) is a great place to hang out and explore – with all its great restaurants and great little gift shops!

3. Java’s Cafe, 16 Gibbs Street

Java’s is an absolute classic and if you ask around campus, I’m sure it will come up. Java’s is a funky and absolutely hip coffee house right next to Eastman, making it really easy to get to. The coffee is great and it is open really late. It is also close to The Little which is a dope movie theatre (date night or girls night anyone?) and Eastman itself which is always really fun to explore because of how beautiful it is. As for Java’s itself, the coffee is amazing and the art is even better. Who needs more?

4. The Frog Pond, 652 Park Avenue

So I have to apologize for this one, because The Frog Pond isn’t actually a coffee house, however, it has amazing coffee. This little breakfast joint is on Park Ave, which is another great area of Rochester, because of its cute little houses and great restaurants. The Frog Pond is a great place for coffee and breakfast and is a wonderful place to take a date or your friends and family. The staff is so nice and the food is great, but, most importantly, the coffee is to die-for.

So here you go, friends, some of my classic, fave coffee shops in Rochester. What are yours?

My name is Madeline and I am freshman at the University of Rochester. I row on the crew team and am planning on a double major in neuroscience and women's studies on a pre-med track. I am also involved with the Eco-Reps on campus and I love to read and play the piano.