12 Ways to Instantly Boost Your Self-Esteem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Having a positive self-esteem is about much more than liking your appearance. It’s also how you see your own worth in your relationships, accept your positive characteristics, deal healthily with your negative characteristics, and believe that you can achieve your aspirations and goals. It’s how you see your physical appearance as well as how you see your worth. Here are a few things to try when you need a reminder of how absolutely amazing you are:

1. Blast feel-good music.

I’m talking “Feeling Myself” by Beyonce, “Firework” by Katy Perry, “Confident” by Demi Lovato, “F**king Perfect” by Pink… the list goes on and on of self-empowerment anthems. Blast some Beyonce and remember that you’re #FLAWLESS.

2. Call your mom.

Your mom knows you better than anyone and is simultaneously your biggest fan. She’ll remind you of how beautiful you are and that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. After all, you are a lot like her (although we sometimes don’t admit it).

3. Call your best friend.

Sometimes you can’t tell your mom what’s going on in your life, but your best friend knows just about everything. Your best friend knows your most embarrassing moments and your deepest fears, and still doesn’t judge you. Sometimes all you need is someone to vent to, and one phone call can make a big difference.

4. Get dolled up.

Wear that outfit that you know you look amazing in, even if you’re not going anywhere. If you love makeup, swipe on your favorite lipstick. It honestly reminds you that, yes, you are gorgeous, as hard as that is to believe at times.

5. Take a selfie.

Posting a selfie on Instagram or Facebook can be a bit intimidating, because everyone will see it, but that’s the point! All of the nice comments from your best friends, and even friends you haven’t seen for a while, can remind you of how loved you are. The comments also act as a nice confidence boost!

6. Eat healthily.

It’s sad, yet true. You feel better when you eat better. You don’t have to start dieting per say, but no one feels good about themselves when they reach the bottom of the Cheez-Its box or finish off a giant pint of Ben and Jerry’s. You feel better about your body when you treat it right!

7. Work out.

Whether you lift, run, row, or bike, getting a good workout and sweating through the stress noticeably boosts your mood. Not only does it give you a rush of endorphins, but you feel more accomplished leaving the gym than from sitting in your room feeling bummed out.

8. Change something about your appearance.

Personally, when I was going through a rough period, I dyed my hair pink and started wearing lipstick when I went out. I was so surprised by how much of a difference that made in my confidence! Whether it’s changing up your hair, buying a new shirt, or trying a bolder makeup look, trying something new can make you feel more empowered.

9. Spend the night with friends.

Whether your squad prefers to stay in watching Netflix or you love to party, spending time with friends lifts up everyone’s mood. If you’re really having a rough time, they can offer advice and support. Or they can take you for a night out on the town to cheer you up!

10. Dance!

It’s cheaper than therapy. It’s slightly embarrassing to say this on the Internet, but I 100% do this when I’m feeling down. It really works!

11. Do something you know you do well.

Whether it’s writing, drawing, playing an instrument, solving puzzles, or making jewelry, do something that makes you happy. Doing a task well reminds you of your worth and your positive attributes. It also makes you feel accomplished and fulfilled, raising your self-esteem!

12. Remember that there are a million better things to be than beautiful.

This is more geared towards the self-image aspect of self-esteem, but it’s true! We should all want to be so much more than good-looking: intelligent, compassionate, thoughtful, respectful, generous, kind, hardworking… The list goes on and on of things that are so much more important than being physically attractive. And unlike genetics, these characteristics are all traits you can work on, build, and develop. They are goals we should all strive for and care about much, much more than being merely pretty.

Hopefully doing these small things can remind you of your own worth, or at least temporarily cheer you up. And if all else fails, listen to the wise words of Leslie Knope:

Caitlin is a sophomore from Syracuse, NY. She is double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Language, Media, and Communications at the University of Rochester. She is the Publicity Chair of UR Celtic, has acted as both Social Media Manager and Business Manager of Her Campus, is an active member of the Inter-Class Living Community, and enjoys working as a Writing Fellow. When she's not busy with extracurricular activities or schoolwork, Caitlin can be found working at the Campus Mail Center, reading, and spending too much money at Starbucks.