10 Shows on Netflix to Marathon this Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Spring break is the time to sleep, eat, and marathon Netflix shows. It’s the ultimate relaxation tool, but the issue is (and one I frequently run into) that I can’t find anything new to watch. I made this list to hopefully lessen any of the potential mental energy you’re going to spend this break.

1. House of Cards

Netflix Summary: This Emmy-winning original thriller series stars Golden Globe winner Kevin Spacey as ruthless, cunning Congressman Francis Underwood, who will stop at nothing to conquer the halls of power in Washington D.C. His secret weapon: his gorgeous, ambitious, and equally conniving wife Claire (Golden Globe winner Robin Wright).

Why it’s Awesome: Oh god where do I start. This show has it all: sex, drama, murder, you name it. It constantly keeps you guessing and right when you think you have it all figured out BAM it changes everything around. Plus a new season just came out so you’ll have plenty of new episodes to watch!

2. Cosmos 

Netflix Summary: Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson presents new revelations about time and space in this reboot of the original “Cosmos” documentary series.

Why it’s Awesome: Neil deGrasse Tyson’s voice is like a warm blanket on a snowy day. He is so unbelievably passionate about the universe and somehow manages to tie the concepts he talks about into everyday issues. I honestly learned more from this show than I ever did in Astronomy 101.

3. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Netflix Summary: Agent Phil Coulson, seen in action in Marvel’s The Avengers, assembles a team of top S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to investigate bizarre threats.

Why it’s Awesome: This show starts off incredibly slow. So slow in fact that it took me a few months to get past the 5th episode. I was originally disappointed with Marvel, but trust me when I say that you won’t regret it if you stick with it until the end. 

4. Sherlock

Netflix Summary: In this updated take on Arthur Conan Doyle’s beloved mystery tales, the eccentric sleuth prowls the streets of modern-day London in search of clues.

Why it’s Awesome: Words cannot describe how much I love this show. I’ve seen every episode at least three times and each time I notice something new.  Aside from the incredible acting, the cinematography is to die for. The production put into this show is unparalleled in any other TV series, I’ve only ever seen this much work put into high cost films. If you watch any show off of this list, please let it be this one. 

5. Archer 

Netflix Summary: Suave, sophisticated spy Archer may have the coolest gadgets, but he still has issues when it comes to dealing with his boss, who is also his mother.

Why it’s Awesome: This is a hilarious stupid comedy. Perfect for when you’re just looking to giggle.

6. Louie 

Netflix Summary: Louis C.K. plays a fictional version of himself in this series that follows the comedian through the lows of being an awkward single dad in New York.

Why it’s Awesome: Louis C.K. is definitely one of the defining comedians of our generation. He’s brutally honest and hilarious, and this show encapsulates both of these qualities.

7. Peaky Blinders 

Netflix Summary: Tommy Shelby (Cillian Murphy) is the charismatic leader of a Birmingham, England crime organization known for its distinctive and lethal razor-brimmed caps. As the ambitious, deadly Tommy leads his crew to ever-greater success after World War I, they come to the attention of a chief inspector (Sam Neill) who is sent from Belfast to rid the city of its criminals. Annabelle Wallis costars in this period thriller from the writer-director of “Locke.”

Why it’s Awesome: You’ve probably never heard of this show, neither had I until I decided to watch it on a whim one day while procrastinating an essay. I ended up turning in that essay late because I was too busy watching this show. Oh dear lord this show has everything, and those cheekbones on the main character… hnnnng. It’s crazy intricate and intense while never letting you get confused about the action. I’m very picky about my TV shows, and this one is one of my favorites. 

8. The Office 

Netflix Summary: This hit comedy chronicles the foibles of disgruntled office workers — led by deluded boss Michael Scott — at the Dunder Mifflin paper company.

Why it’s Awesome: Droll is truly the word that defines this show; it’s funny in a way that shouldn’t be. Yes Steve Carell can be annoying, but here is where he really shines.

9. Best of TEDx

Netflix Summary: Featuring local voices that reverberate globally, these talks celebrate the best of TEDx and its mantra of “ideas worth spreading.”

Why it’s Awesome: I’ve spent hours browsing ted.com looking for the best speeches to watch. This compilation (I can’t really call it a show) makes it easy to find the most interesting ones. I’ve actually been watching these while writing this article! They’re super informative and very interesting, I highly recommend this for people looking to expand their general knowledge base over this break. 

10. Marco Polo

Netflix Summary: “Marco Polo” is an epic adventure that follows the early years of the famous explorer as he travels the exotic Silk Road to the great Kublai Khan’s court. But Marco soon finds that navigating the Khan’s world of greed, betrayal, sexual intrigue and rivalry will be his greatest challenge yet, even as he becomes a trusted companion to the Khan in his violent quest to become the Emperor of the World.

Why it’s Awesome: Completely historically inaccurate and the acting can get painful at times; but the story is amazing, the scenery is to die for, and the costumes are incredible. I’ve loved shows for less, so I highly recommend this one.