Sigma Chi Derby Days

Posted -

The tradition of Sigma Chi's Derby Days began in the spring of 1933 at the Alpha Beta chapter at the University of California-Berkeley, under the name "Channingway Derby." Located on Channing Way, the Alpha Beta Sigma Chis sponsored an event composed of a series of humorous skits. In fact, one publication later cited the "Channingway Derby" as California's most amusing tradition.

The Lambda Kappa chapter is starting it's Derby Days tradition this year and we'd like you to be a part of it.

:::Check schedule below:::

5/13 (12 pm -2 pm)
Kickoff BBQ (Greek Lawn)
Kick off event for the week of Derby Days. Run down of the week and tee-shirts will be distributed at this time.

5/14-5/18 (10 am - 2 pm)
Bottle/Can Collection (Infinity Quad)
Gentlemen of Sigma Chi will be table sitting collecting recycle returnables for charity all week.

5/16 (All Day)
Derby Chase (Across Campus)
Teams hunt for brothers to capture their hats throughout the day. Points are awarded based on hat type and rank. The final tally will take place at 3 pm on the Greek Lawn.

5/17 (4 pm - 6 pm)
Derby Hunt (Across Campus)
The second event of Derby Days, competing teams will visit stations around RIT's campus to complete various puzzles/tasks in order to earn the next hint on where the next station is.

5/18 (All Day)
Sign a Sig (Across Campus)
Team members sign brothers shirts to earn points for their team. Each team will not receive points for duplicate signatures. Only one signature will count per person.

5/19 (2 pm - 4 pm)
Awards BBQ Celebration (Sentinel)
The closing event of derby days, the winners will be announced and a final celebration between all teams.

More info here

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login