Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

RIT News

Property of JACK

By Olivia Angerosa
January 13, 2013 - 6:40pm

A new online publication is hitting the Rochester area! It’s called Property of JACK, and it was created by a RIT Department of Communication class under the lead of the great social media strategist Professor Mike Johansson. The publication aims to entertain the Rochester audience with different topics for each day of the week including: Money Monday: Giving tips on ways to save money, what tools to use and more! Techie Tuesday: Letting you know about to Tech events in the area and new gadgets to check out! Wearable Wednesday: Giving you fashion tips, looks to try, and looks to look out for! Things to Do Thursday: Telling you which events to attend, things to do, and places to go! READ MORE

Bowl-4-Breath

By Ashley Doarn
December 11, 2012 - 1:23pm

READ MORE

Getting Ahead in Week 3

By Tianna Manon
December 8, 2012 - 10:18pm

In a ten week quarter, midterms and finals come ridiculously fast. All up and down my Facebook timeline, I see my friends complain about all-nighters, days spent in the library, and being held prisoner to their textbooks, essays, and projects. But what if this zombification of RIT students wasn’t necessary? What if we didn’t need to hibernate for 2-3 weeks out of the quarters? Simply put, what if we used the other 7-8 weeks to get ahead and be ready for midterms and finals. “I’m like the queen of stress,” said Emily Rinehart, a 3rd-year Graphic Design major. She said she didn’t really get a lot of midterms or finals, but a lot of final projects.  READ MORE

R.I.T’s Secret Ongoing War: The “Poets” vs. the “Engineers and Keyboard Tappers”

By Tianna Manon
December 1, 2012 - 11:45pm

“One time I was on the bus, and (overheard): ‘why would anyone come here for Liberal Arts, who needs another poet in society?’” said Lauren McShane, 19, a second-year Communications major in the College of Liberal Arts, COLA. She remembers the indignation she felt at the assumption that everyone in COLA is a poet, which isn’t even an offered program- or going further, is useless. “I really wanted to say something, but I’m not the kind of person to call someone out on the bus,” she said. Her story isn’t unique. Many COLA students have expressed anger at being socially marginalized by students who excel in science and math. READ MORE

Hurricane Sandy Affecting Students Almost One Month Later

By Tianna Manon
November 17, 2012 - 11:38am

(Photo provided by Courtney Ullger, of RIT showing damage in Masspequa, NY.) When Hurricane Sandy first threatened the east coast, students at RIT begged for a day off. Yet, the few inches of rain, and gusty winds was not nearly enough to close down the institution. While our campus may have been left reasonably untouched, many students are now finding themselves in a difficult predicament weeks later. Should they go home for the break, knowing that, for many, their houses are still without power, seeing flood and wind damage, and/or don’t resemble much of a home at all? READ MORE

Rock the Vote

By Lauren Kiker
November 4, 2012 - 6:47pm

READ MORE

Run from the Zombies

By Tianna Manon
October 28, 2012 - 12:03am

READ MORE

Alec Baldwin: Horton Distinguished Speaker 2012

By Lauren Kiker
October 25, 2012 - 12:01pm

Another Brick City weekend has come and gone at RIT. This year for the Horton Distinguished Speaker Series, RIT brought in New York native Alec Baldwin. Baldwin sat down for an hour long interview with local WHEC journalist Robin De Wind. Going into the event, not many people knew exactly what Baldwin would be talking about. Known for his opinionated views, there was a question of whether or not he would actually discuss common issues in the U.S., as well as the always touchy subject of politics. They started out talking about some more basic things, like Baldwin’s hit television show “30 Rock.” READ MORE

Missing Brick City

By Tianna Manon
October 24, 2012 - 12:55pm

While everyone else was at Alec Baldwin on Saturday, I was stuck at the Box Office. I couldn’t even hear him from where I sat less than 100 yards away. All I saw was the smiles of everyone who walked out after the event and the disappointed looks on those who hadn’t made it in time to go in. 30 minutes later was our women’s hockey game against Yale at the Blue Cross Arena. I was still on campus READ MORE

Fall Drag Show

By Lauren Kiker
October 15, 2012 - 12:01am

It’s that time of year again. Time for the annual RIT Gay Alliance Fall Drag Show! Drag queens and kings came out at their best Friday, October 12 to show the crowd just how well they can shake it. Drawing in a crowd so large it nearly filled Ingle Auditorium, the fall drag show, aptly titled “A Foreign Affair,” was a success. Filled with students, teachers and fans, the fall drag show proves just how supportive a campus RIT is. The crowd roared after each of the 17 performers’ acts, ranging from choreographed dances to a stand-up comedian. READ MORE