Movember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

You might be wondering why a good amount of the boys you see on the quarter mile (QM) are sporting mustaches this month.  Is it because the awesome Rochester weather is making their face cold?  Nope.  Is it because weeks 10 and 11 are stressing them out and they’re too lazy to shave?  Nope (well, maybe).  The reason for this is to raise funds and awareness for prostate cancer.

Now, I thought it was a joke at first.  I’m all about philanthropy and fundraising- but how could not shaving your moustache and looking scruffy help to raise money for a good cause?!  Even after two boys in my Marketing Metrics & Research class (hey Buda and Tom, hey!) and my little’s boyfriend (what’s up Jon?) claimed that they were participating in Movember, I told them to stop being lazy and stop lying to me.  However, after they all said the joke was on me, I did some research on Movember.com and watched an awesome Google Chrome commercial about Movember to get the real scoop.  After learning what Movember was all about, I decided it was worth the scruffy faces and beard burn (errrr, moustache burn?) that could result… but only for the month of November.

According to Movember.com, “during November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo’s, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men.”

Movember.com explains how Movember works for all those involved:
– Those participating register at Movember.com
– Men start Movember 1st clean shaven
– For the rest of the month, these men (known as Mo Bros) groom, tim and wax their way “into the annals of fine moustachery”
– Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for their Mo-growing efforts
Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November- through their actions and words they raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.
– At the end of the Movember, Mo Bros and Mo Sistas celebrate their gallantry and valor by either throwing their own Movember party or attending one of the infamous Gala Partés held around the world by Movember, for Movember.

Along with many boys on RIT’s campus, the hockey team has started their own campaign for Movember by creating a Facebook page titled “RIT Hockey Movember“.  Along with concentrating on their school work and hockey, the Tigers will be growing out their “upper lip sweaters” for the cause.  From what I understand, this page will be used to update all its fans on the weekly status of the boy’s Movember efforts (both monetarily and facially).

If you would like to contribute to the Tiger’s Movember fund, click here! Want to help Tom or Jon? Click on their names!

Keep calm and Movember on, Tigers!

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.