This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Taking on both a vigorous hockey schedule and RIT academic schedule, Melissa Bromley easily captures the title “Campus Celebrity.” Hailing from Aurora, Canada, Melissa is hard-working both on the ice and in the classroom. Last season, she was one of 10 Tigers who played in all 30 games, setting a single-season program record as well as making Dean’s List. 

What is your major? And year?
Journalism major with a minor in Business Administration. Second year. 

Why did you choose RIT?
I chose RIT because it has a great reputation and offered a good balance for my program. Also, the fact that co-ops are mandatory was very nice! I chose RIT too because of the location, and the fact that the women’s hockey team is very good and competitive. 

What has been your favorite class so far?
 My favorite class so far has to be Public Speaking. It wasn’t even my best grade, but it was so fun and challenging that I always looked forward to going, and I was really able to improve my skill in public speaking when so many people struggle with it. 

Favorite part of RIT?
 Well, my least favorite would be parking, but once I’m on campus, I love the fact that everything is relatively close. Since everything is max a 10 minute walk it is really helpful when I have to rush from class, to the rink, back to class, etc.. Also, I love the fact that I can work for SportsZone because it is giving me real life experience on campus in a field that I want to pursue.

Favorite professor?
I don’t really want to say that I have a favorite professor because I’ve really enjoyed every professor. I’ve taken a relatively wide variety of classes so far and I’ve been happy with all of them. Of course they all have different teaching styles, but I guess that’s all a part of college and learning!

Favorite place to eat?
This would probably have to be the RITZ. I’m a huge fan of the Striker panini, delicious! Then again, the SAU definitely has the best subs on campus. 

How long have you played?
I started playing when I was 6, so almost 14 years now.

What position do you play?
I play a little bit of both, but this season mainly forward. 

How do you balance class and playing a sport?
It’s tough to balance it, but time management really helps. Growing up I always had a lot going on since I played a ton of sports both in and out of school, so I’ve always been used to having a lot on the go which has definitely helped. But (don’t judge me), I love learning and schoolwork to me isn’t always tedious and annoying. 

What has been the most challenging part of balancing hockey and school?
I think one of the most challenging parts of balance hockey and school is the fact that most of our weekends are gone because we play two games a weekend. I’m not one for doing a lot of work on the bus, so when we travel it can be a little hard. Thankfully though professors are usually really understanding. But like other students too, Sundays are usually catch-up and homework day. 

Piece of advice on how to survive RIT?
Get a warm winter jacket and be ready for any type of weather! 

Piece of advice for girls on how to survive RIT?
Have fun and find a good group of friends.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Oh gosh, 10 years?! I’d love to have a good, steady career, and hopefully a family by then. As long as I’m happy and having fun, I’d be satisfied.

What’s your dream job?
Being a sports broadcaster for either ESPN or TSN.

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.