It’s Just a Hallmark Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

It’s almost Valentine’s Day; the day where hopeless romantics go all out for the love of their life, the day where friends confide in one another even the day when those who have loved and lost find love once more.

Most woman love this hallmark holiday, but for me they see it as just another day. The media has put into our minds that this holiday is all about flowers, jewelry and candy. The abundant about of commercials and stores that are lined with Valentine’s décor and coupons for the whole weekend can hypnotize a woman into wanting that one special gift.

Lately, I have been noticing some really interesting gifts like life-sized teddy bears and footie pajamas, but why wouldn’t you want to just cuddle with your loved one and or have a nice dinner instead of being showered with a million stuffed animals.

Valentine’s day shouldn’t be about what your loved one will be getting you. Take a step back and look at the little things in life and how your loved one shouldn’t be treating you everyday not just on one day out of the year. Yes, it is a special holiday in some peoples eyes in which they go all out and go to a fancy dinner and buy a dozen roses, but there is nothing wrong with that either.

For those of you beautiful woman out there that might not have a Valentine this year, do not get yourself down. Keep a positive attitude and don’t let all the smooching, hand holding lovers keep you from having a bad day.

You don’t need a piece of jewelry or flowers to feel worthiness. There are many ways to rejoice without a mate. Do something unique for yourself like a present for yourself or a massage. Surround yourself with gentile, compassionate thoughts and great friends.

This holiday isn’t just about entertaining your lover, but it’s about showing those you love around you that you care. 

Spend this Tuesday smiling from your core, thinking good thoughts and embracing the love that is around you whether it be from a stranger, a best friend and especially your family.

What I always do on Valentine’s Day is pick 5 important individuals that I know I love and send them a text message, email or call them just to say “I’m thinking about you!”

Don’t let this day bring you down just because you aren’t receiving roses or an over the top amount of chocolate kisses. Make this day about you and all the great people in your life that care about you as much as you care about them.

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

“The best of friends”
Can change a frown,
Into a smile,
when you feel down.

The best of friends,
Will understand,
Your little trials,
And lend a hand.

The best of friends,
Will always share,
Your secret dreams,
Because they care.

The best of friends,
Worth more than gold,
Give all the love,
A heart can hold.”

Jenna is an Advertising and Public Relations student at RIT, minoring in Marketing. She is a cupcake lover (although she loves how they look more than they taste), advocate of Breast Cancer education and awareness, sister of ZTA and assistant at RIT Sports Information. She loves wedding blogs, sailing, photography, bright colors, nail polish and a new pair of Sperry Top Siders. She has traveled to Spain, Israel, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Germany and Canada- with Spain and Israel being her favorites outside the U.S. Within the states, Jenna loves Rhode Island (especially the town of Watch Hill); Seattle, Washington; and Dallas, Texas. Although she is from the Garden State, Jenna hates the Jersey shore but does love to fist pump once in a while and hopes to move to Texas after graduation. With three PR internships as well as an advertising one under her belt, Jenna hopes to persue a career in either of these fields... or wedding planning, but she can keep dreaming.