First Woman President in the Making: Lorelei Colbert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
Lorelei Colbert is the ultimate leader on campus. She has founded the Women’s Lacrosse Club, been the president of the freshman class, continues to be an active member in the leadership development program and she intends to continue going full throttle. Read on to find out what all her leadership roles on campus mean to her and how she defines success.

You are the Women’s Lacrosse Club Founder/President. What does that mean to you?
I am extremely proud that the Women’s Lacrosse Club is up and running. I remember walking into Dianna Klaus’ office in the SRC and just telling her that I wanted to play. With the help of three other girls, we put in the work and got a team together. It is so exhilarating to step out on the turf or field and just practice with the other women on the team. Next year will be even more exciting when we get to play against other teams! My experience would be completely different if I decided not to branch out as a leader. I would definitely have some extra time on my hands!

The role of Freshman Class President is a huge role. What would you say to someone who aspires to have that position in the future?
I would tell that person to go for it! If they are as passionate as I was, they will absolutely love the position. I’d tell them to establish a good relationship with their executive board and have open communication. Also, find the need of the Freshman Class and fill it! The hardest part for me was just becoming accustomed to all of the regulations of our private university. I came from a public high school where things were run differently. Therefore, I was always asking questions!

You don’t have a set career goal. How long do you think it will take for you to find your passion, if you haven’t found it already?
I sure hope to find my career path soon! I just recently declared my major in Communications—Public Relations—last week, and I think this would be a great field where I can establish myself. My real passion in life is just to excite and inspire others to reach their full potential. If I could make a living off of being a full time mascot, I would apply today! My long-term goal is to motivate people who are coming from tough backgrounds. I am a strong believer that everyone has the chance to succeed and feel optimistic about his or her future.

What qualities do you possess that you think will make you a good O-Staff Member?
I think I will be a great asset for the O-Staff Team because I am extremely driven and just a naturally enthusiastic person! We are working very hard in order to give these new Broncs the ultimate experience at orientation. Our O-Staff just participated in a conference and a retreat to further develop our skills. We want to encourage community and Rider pride! I cannot wait for this summer!

You are an active member of the Leadership Development Program. Explain what this program means to you.
I became involved with this program because it seemed like it was the right thing for me to. It sounded like a place where I would be getting involved with good people, and so far it has yet to prove me wrong. My biggest accomplishments through this program are volunteering with Special Olympics Bowling and meeting a bunch of great people who also love to make a difference.

You are involved in many different things on campus. Do you enjoy all of them equally or do you have one in particular that you have a special passion for?
I enjoy all of these activities equally but at different times. I get really excited when it is time to go out and run around the field with the team, and I also loved the moment’s right before we would hold an event for the Freshman Class. Sometimes all of the work along with schoolwork becomes a little overwhelming. My passion here is just so broad. I want to thrive inside and outside of the classroom and enjoy college every step of the way.

What is the most rewarding part of being involved on campus?
I decided to become involved on campus this summer while I was here for EOP. It was a great opportunity living on campus for an extra five weeks before the rest of the freshmen moved in. I am involved because I simply love doing it. I love knowing what is going on, helping plan and run events, and just running with every opportunity that Rider offers. I love being involved on campus, and know that I am making a difference in other people’s lives. Nothing feels more rewarding than hearing others appreciate all of the efforts I put into my involvement or just seeing all of the smiles that surround me. My major motivations come from my undying drive to succeed, along with the love from my family and friends. I love making them proud.

What has been the most rewarding moment for you at Rider?
Becoming the SGA VP-elect was probably my most rewarding moment thus far.  I felt so honored and accomplished after knowing all of the heart and hard work that I had put into my campaign paid off. It confirmed that running for such a big position was the right thing to do. Accomplishing my goal proved that as student leaders we can do so much to enhance our Rider experience. All of our Broncs should feel like Broncs who flourish with pride and excellence on a daily basis.

What does success mean to you?
For me, success is being the best that I can be and accomplishing my goals. So far, I would consider myself somewhat successful. I will know I have reached success when I get a great career, can support myself, and be happy with everything that I have done. For now, I live to work- I can’t help it. I feel like you need to work hard to reap the best benefits. You need to play big, to win big, and I definitely want to win big!

A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.