This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

For many students, spring break is either an opportunity to go home and relax on the couch for a week, or a chance to go live it up in Miami, Cancun or some other tropical destination. Some students however, may choose to do research or volunteer work during their spring breaks. One of these students is Melanie Lipert, a current sophomore at UR. Melanie is a journalism and biology double-major, a member of the varsity women’s soccer team and is spending her spring break doing research for a class in Belize. 

I first asked Mel why she choose the combination of majors that she did. She told me that she has always been extremely interested in biology and the outdoors, but has also always loved to write.

“I did a journalism internship in high school and really loved it,” she told me. “I love getting to talk to new people and interview them and learn about their lives, and bio-journalism is such a great combination of my two passions.”  

We then turned to her experience thus far at the University of Richmond. Of the university, she said “I love the opportunities that are given here. Like, I’m going to Belize over spring break for free. It took a lot to get into the class, but still.”

I then asked her about her upcoming trip to Belize and how she became presented with such an opportunity. She told me that a special application was required for the advanced biology class through which she is taking this trip. She seemed more excited however, to do discuss the trip itself. “We’re going to be doing field research. There’s three projects: I’m on the camera track. We’re staying at a place called B FREE for most of the trip and and setting up cameras around that field station; We’re going to put some scents around that attack big cats at night because they’re nocturnal, and we’re hoping to get some pictures at night. Another group is studying leaf cutter ants and another group is doing some small animal trapping.” 

Mel says that she is the most excited to see all of the wildlife in Belize, and also all of the culture. It is in this conversation that one can truly see her passion for both of her majors. She jumps back and forth between what she is more excited about — meeting the people of Belize or studying the biology. “Apparently Belize is a melting pot for a bunch of different ethnic groups so it will be cool to meet and interview people of different cultures” she says. “Also their environment is just so different from ours it will be interesting to see all the wildlife.” 

Sophomore at the University of Richmond just trying to make it count.