Moving Up and Moving Out: A Reflection of the Year I Grew Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

In a few days, my dad is coming to move the majority of my belongings out of my dorm room and back to Pennsylvania for the summer. As I’m beginning to pack up my clothes and take my decorations off the walls, I can’t help but think about what a wild and crazy ride this school year has been. As I prepare to move out of my sophomore year home, I am amazed that I’ve hit the halfway mark. Not only have I had a ton of fun this year, I think I’ve grown more as a person in this one school year than I have in my entire 19 years of life that led up to this year. I learned a lot of important lessons this year which really forced me not only to grow up but also to learn more about who I am as an individual. To mark the halfway point in my college career, I decided to make a list of things I’ve learned over the past two years, and especially this one.

1. Do what’s best for you. This applies to all aspects of life. Whether its classes, going out, what to eat, or who to hang out with, do what feels natural to you and what makes you happy.
  2. You can’t force a friendship. Maybe you’ve known each other since orientation and you feel like there’s pressure to be friends but it still just isn’t clicking — stop wasting time and energy on a relationship that isn’t going to go anywhere.
  3. It’s ok to be by yourself sometimes. There can be a lot of pressure to be with our friends 24/7, especially when you’re constantly looking at everyone’s Snapchat stories of them spending time with their friends. But sometimes you just need to spend a night by yourself and watch “Tarzan”.
  4. First impressions can be wrong; they can also be right. Don’t be too fast to judge people — they might surprise you. On the other end of that sentiment, however, follow your instincts. If you meet someone and instantly get a bad feeling about them in your gut, you’re probably right and they might not be good for you.
  5. Making time for yourself and your health is ~so~ important. Finding a balance between school, relationships, and sleep is insanely challenging and sometimes cannot be done. When you find a balance though, keep it. You are the most important person in your own life and that is by far the biggest lesson that I have learned this year. 
Sophomore at the University of Richmond just trying to make it count.