How to practice self-care over fall break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

For many college students, fall break falls right around midterm season. After a week filled with late-night studying, questionable eating habits, excessive caffeine intake and super stress, it’s very important that students find a way to take care of themselves and take some time to recover before returning back to classes. Here are five easy things that you can do to practice self-care over the break:

1. Sleep

After a week of stress and staying up late studying, your body could really use some extra sleep. Take at least one day during the break to turn your morning alarm off and sleep in.  

2. Catch up with friends and family

If you go home for break, see if you can have at least one day where you catch up with your friends! If none of your friends will be home, see if maybe you can visit them at their school for a few days. If you’re friends are all away at school and they can’t host you because they’re in the middle of stressing over midterms, spend some quality ti with your family. It’s easy to take the time we spend with our family members for granted sometimes, but you’ll regret it when you’re back at school feeling a little homesick at some point during the semester.   

3. Eat well

Fall break also means a break from the dining hall, and the chance to eat the things you really love again. So take in your fresh fruits and veggies and home-cooked meals while you can!

4. Catch up on your beauty routine

Whether this means finally going to the nail salon, having the time to do a face mask, trying out some new makeup tutorials or doing something different with your hair, breaks are the perfect time to do the little things that you like to do, but often can’t because you just don’t have time during the school week.

5. Reflect on what you have enjoyed about the semester so far

Believe it or not, we’re already almost halfway finished with fall semester. It can be easy to forget about all of the positive things that have happened during the year when the past few weeks have been filled with so much stress, but break is the perfect time to really reflect on the things that have gone well. Whether you’re proud of your grades or improved study habits, taking sometime to appreciate the good things about your semester can help you to feel energized enough to take on the second half of the semester.  

We just have one more week until break! Stay strong, push through midterms, and remember that your well-being is always the number one priority.