The 10 Best Lodge Themes, Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond chapter.

For many here at Richmond, Friday nights mean one thing and one thing only — lodges. These fun yet somewhat disgusting mixes between a fraternity house and a dance club are a great place to have a great night dancing around with your friends, mingling outside and hopefully getting a picture on an elevated surface. One of the most important aspect of lodges however, potentially the main thing that makes them so amazing, are the themes. Every weekend every lodge has a different theme and you and your friends dig through your lodge boxes (a term I have only ever heard used with regularity at Richmond), dress to your favorite theme, and head across X-lot to lodge hop for the night. 

While in my time here at Richmond I have both seen and heard of some pretty crazy party and lodge themes (for example, a party honoring Harambe or a club where you get covered in foam), there are some tried and true lodge themes that one can expect to see almost every weekend. I asked around on campus to find out which themes people love and which they would rather not see again, so without further adieu, here is a list of the 10 best lodge themes, ranked from worst to best.

10) Lumberjack

While this theme serves a practical purpose (being warm), its not very cute and if we’re being honest, no one looks that good as a lumberjack. Yeah you can wear your standard leggings and tank top with a flannel over top, but that’s basically what you wear to a house party. The whole point of lodges is that they allow you to shamelessly wear your craziest clothes without feeling judged because everyone else looks crazy too! No one goes to a lodge to wear the flannel they wear to class every week.

9) Superheroes

Although this is one of my personal favorite themes (I own a lot more Batman gear than I would like to admit), a lot of people either don’t own superhero outfits, or don’t know how to make their brother’s Captain America t-shirt look cute. When done right this theme can make for a pretty sick outfit and some pretty sick pictures, but let’s be real — it usually isn’t done right.

8) Galaxy

This theme used to be super trendy and exciting when galaxy leggings were first gaining popularity, but now its become a little tired. While definitely a convenient theme to dress to (what girl doesn’t own galaxy leggings and black shirt!), I think we’ve seen a little too much of this theme in the past two years.

7) Neon

Ah yes, the neon lodge, or as it often referred to, “Tight and Bright.” Continuing past the fact that both the name and the theme are fairly objectifying (come dance around in your tightest clothes!) this theme is fairly well liked. Almost everyone owns at the very least a neon t-shirt and if you don’t, American Apparel has never been more relevant than when you need clothes for this theme. All in all, its easy to dress to and can create some pretty cool pictures of you and your friends ~literally~ glowing.

6) America    

The America theme really does seem to be a fan favorite. Break out your flag shorts that you bought for fourth of July and tie some red ribbons in your hair because we’re celebrating our love for the US of A! For those of us with a more intricate lodge box, maybe you even have some red white and blue leggings or knee socks. You’re almost guranteed to hear Party in the USA at some point in the night and this theme is cute, easy, and patriotic all at the same time, so what’s not to love!

5) Jungle

This theme can be very hit or miss depending on what clothes you have and how you feel about cheetah print. Some people love it, some people hate it, but it pops up almost every weekend so you know enough people love it to keep it coming back. Whether you own a cheetah print body suit, an animal onesie, or are just throwing on some cat ears and calling it a night, this theme provides endless possibilities to feel like your life is straight out of a safari.

4) Mardi Gras  

Although there is a very limited time of the year when this theme can be used, during February and march, its about the only theme you’re going to see. Part of its appeal is that it doesn’t happen every weekend all year and that makes it more special. We all love putting on some green and purple and as many beads as we can find and pretending that in New Orleans for a night (or three). No one knows how to party more than New Orleanians, except for maybe Richmond students who wish they were at Mardi Gras instead of in a lodge.

3) Ski Lodge

Ski lodge is maybe one of the best ideas that anybody every had and is perfect for those cold winter months when the cold walk across campus is almost enough to stop you from making the trek to the lodges. I will always choose ski lodge over any other theme because it means that I get to wear cute yet warm clothes and warmth is the most important thing for me. My ideal ski lodge outfit? Silver leggings, leg warmers, a crazy puffy lodge jacket, and a fluffy hat; its cute and it won’t cause me to turn into a popsicle on my walk over. Kudos to whoever makes ski lodges happen!

2) Hawaii/Luau

This theme sees its peak usage during the first and last three weeks of school, when people are either missing the beach or anxiously awaiting summer vacation. This theme is great because not only does it stir up those feelings of summer nights, it also allows a lot of diversity in what you want to wear. From bikini tops to life guard shirts to gras skirts to shark onesies, I think I’ve seen just about every possible interpretation of this theme and that’s what makes it so great. It’s like a summer beach party where you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in and still have a great time either mourning or awaiting summer break!

1)Risky Business

Ah yes the ultimate college party classic. Who doesn’t love to imagine that they are Tom Cruise sliding across the floor in his boxers and dress shirt singing to Old Time Rock and Roll in the 80’s. I don’t think I can even count the number of Instagram pictures I’ve seen over the years of girls wearing their best guy friend’s button downs and laughing and dancing the night away. Of all the common themes used for lodges, this one seems to be the winner by far! Just take those old records off the shelf….

Sophomore at the University of Richmond just trying to make it count.