15 British Shows to Binge When the Houston Rain Conjures Images of Tea and Wellies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

Because while I certainly don’t need an excuse to watch more Netflix, you might.

1. Broadchurch

Watch if: You want to be kept guessing until the very end.

2. Chewing Gum

Watch if: You’re all about female-driven comedy.

3. Detectorists

Watch if: You value a show’s soundtrack and visuals, but don’t fancy anything too emotionally draining.

4. Doc Martin

Watch if: You find the draw of British television to be Britain itself – the landscapes and the locals, in particular.

5. Doctor Foster

Watch if: Psychological dramas intrigue you.

6. Escape to the Country

Watch if: You personally disprove the stereotype that only middle-aged women tune into HGTV religiously.

7. Fresh Meat

Watch if: Despite not having actually graduated yet, you’re already nostalgic for your college years.    

8. The Great British Baking Show

Watch if: You can’t imagine a better coupling than baked goods and endearing personalities.

9. Happy Valley

Watch if: You appreciate crime dramas, but also want compelling characters.

10. The Inbetweeners

Watch if: You’re a fan of raunchy, cringe-inducing humor. 

11. The Last Kingdom

Watch if: There’s a Game of Thrones-shaped hole in your heart.

12. Lovesick (formerly Scrotal Recall)

Watch if: You enjoy romance as a genre, but can’t stand the theatrics of typical romantic comedies.

13. Peaky Blinders

Watch if: Your ideal show involves tortured souls and razor-sharp cheekbones. 

14. People Just Do Nothing

Watch if: Mockumentaries appeal to you.

15. W1A

Watch if: You need reassurance about your employability.

Cheers, y’all.

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.