yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

12 Movies to Watch on Netflix This Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

Because when you’re in Houston and it’s 70+ degrees out, fall is as much a feeling as it is a season.

1. Amélie

Quirky, comforting, and aesthetically pleasing—I’m describing the film Amélie, but could just as easily be compiling a list of my favorite attributes of autumn.

2. Bridget Jones’s Diary

A classic. Watch it in the winter, watch it in the spring, watch it in the summer, and watch it in the fall, but strive to be as resilient as Bridget Jones all 365 days of the year.

3. Dead Poets Society

While I wouldn’t normally make mention of a coming-of-age story that features an ensemble entirely composed of privileged white men, Robin Williams deserves all the praise. And the scenery of Dead Poets Society does exemplify the archetypal New England fall.

4. Emma

Is there anything cozier than a Jane Austen adaptation? Consider curling up with Emma this Thanksgiving, and revel in its nineteenth-century answer to powerful women.

5. A Grand Night In: The Story of Aardman

A Grand Night In chronicles the history of Aardman Studios, the British stop-motion animation studio responsible for Chicken Run and everyone’s favorite clay animation characters, Wallace and Gromit.

6. The Imitation Game

Equal parts fascinating and heartbreaking.

7. Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

This list wouldn’t be complete without at least one documentary telling the tale of a remarkable woman. Chances are, you know far too little about Joan Didion, so allow yourself to be educated.

8. Madame Bovary

Definitely a bit (ok, a lot) dark, so watch when you’re in the mood for something melancholy, thought-provoking, and gorgeously done.

9. Miss Representation

Who doesn’t want a side of feminism with their turkey???

10. Mona Lisa Smile

So autumnal. Fall foliage, the beautiful Wellesley College campus, and infusions of art history all contribute to the cultivation of a perfect November aesthetic. The film’s message ain’t too shabby either.

11. North & South

Technically a miniseries, but with stunning visuals and a moving commentary on the grim realities of Victorian industrial society, North & South is well worth the three episode investment.

12. Young Frankenstein

Isn’t Young Frankenstein more of a Halloween movie, you ask? Maybe—but why not incorporate some of the silliness of Halloween into Thanksgiving? A gathering of extended family members doesn’t always lend itself to an atmosphere of levity. You need this. 

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.