Style Icon: Maddie Seidel (’18)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Hi everyone!  This week I picked Maddie Seidel (’18) as a Style Icon because I always saw her around campus and was fascinated by her distinct look and interesting fashion choices.  Maddie sat down with me in the Rat and we discussed the evolution of her style and her unique style.

Sarah Johnson (SJ): When did you feel yourself starting to develop a personal style as opposed to following trends or dressing how others wanted you to dress?

Maddie Seidel (MS): Probably around second grade.  I always kind of dressed differently; even when I was four, I would always dress up like Disney princesses.

SJ: Can you describe your style to me?

MS: I think it’s feminine but simple.  I like clean lines, and not a lot of patterns. 

Sweater: TJMaxx.

Pants: H&M.

Shoes: DSW.

Purse: Random street vender in NYC.

SJ: What/who are your style influences or icons?

MS: Lots of classic influences, like Audrey Hepburn.  I don’t really try to dress like anyone, just a mix of different things.

SJ: How do you decide what to wear every morning?

MS: I try to dress comfortably, and dress for the weather.  I usually dress in all black because black always matches. 

Shirt: Von Maur.

Skirt: Old Navy.

Jacket: Gap.

Shoes: DSW.

SJ: What are your must-have fashion items?

MS: A good pair of comfortable heels, a great purse, and high-waisted pants and skirts.

SJ: What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who is trying to find their personal style?

MS: Dress based on what you like; that can be a lot of different things, but not like other people dress.  If it feels good, wear it.

Sweater: Forever 21.

Dress-turned-skirt: H&M.

Socks: Urban Outfitters.

Shoes: DSW.

SJ: And finally, what is the worst fashion mistake you’ve made?

MS: I was really into blue eyeliner in sixth grade.  That was kind of a regrettable time.

Thanks for letting me spotlight you this week, Maddie!

And remember everyone, always be cute!

Hi! I'm Sarah Johnson, and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rhodes! I am a senior at Rhodes from Little Rock, AR. I am a Music major, I am a Research and Writing Fellow in the Curb Institute and I sing in the Women's Chorus. In my spare time I like to sleep, eat various snack foods, and watch beauty bloggers on YouTube. My main area of expertise is fashion. My personal style is definitely on the hip side of things, and my pattern of choice is stripes. Thirfting is my number one passion, and I hope to never pay full price for an item of clothing until I can actually afford it. I’ve recently noticed that I almost exclusively wear neutrals, which I am trying to remedy with the purchase of color, but it’s not working very well for me. I hope you all enjoy the articles I write and remember to always be cute!