Style Icon: Alice Fugate (’18)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Hello everyone!  Every once in a while I’m going to spotlight someone on campus who I observe to have great style and interview them about their fashion choices.  Last week I talked to one of my very good friends and suitemates, Alice Fugate.  She has proven herself to be an impeccably dressed individual since I’ve known her and I wanted to share her awesome style with all of you!  I took three different photos over the past few weeks of outfits she has put together that I loved, and I talked to her about her personal style and its influences.

Sarah Johnson (SJ): When did you feel yourself starting to develop a personal style as opposed to following trends or dressing how others wanted you to dress?

Alice Fugate (AF): Probably eighth or ninth grade. I basically only wore graphic tees in middle school, and I just started liking clothes that were nicer, more flattering, and more unique.  My taste developed and matured and continued to do so throughout high school with guidance from others, like my mom.  My mother is a personal stylist and has worked in the fashion industry for most of her life and she has flawless and expensive taste.  She just knows how to shop, and I think she passed that knowledge on to me.

SJ: Can you describe your style to me?

AF: Whimsical yet classic.  I’ll wear something fairly simple but I’ll always add a touch of quirkiness to it.  I really like flowy clothing, especially flowy skirts and dresses.  I’m also a big fan of color and pattern, as opposed to anything solid or neutral.

Blouse: Old Navy.

Skirt: Francesca’s.

Oxford Shoes: Francesca’s.

SJ: What/who are your style influences or icons?

AF: Anthropologie, and my mom and sister.  I like their tastes.  I also really like Zooey Deschanel’s clothes. 

SJ: How do you decide what to wear every morning?

AF: I think about what clothes I haven’t worn yet, what season it is, what I have to do during that day, and whether or not people are going to see me.

Shirt: J. Crew.

Cardigan: Target.

High-waisted Jeans: Hudson.

Oxford Shoes: Francesca’s.

SJ: What are your must-have fashion items?

AF: Toms, a nice pair of dark wash skinny jeans, moccasin boots, and a navy cardigan.  I also feel naked without a necklace because I have worn one every day for so long.  I don’t have a specific favorite since I wear a different one pretty much every day.

SJ: What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who is trying to find their personal style?

AF: I think that you should locate what you like and emulate that, but be sure that it is flattering.  Some people have really good fashion sense, but it’s not exactly flattering on them, so always try to find things that you love that fit your body type and lifestyle.

Dress: Old Navy.

Sweater: TJ Maxx.

Necklace: vintage.

Socks: Gap.

Boots: Francesca’s.

SJ: And finally, what is the worst fashion mistake you’ve made?

AF: The first thing that comes to mind is when I was in third grade and my sister was just starting to be aware of clothing because she had just started middle school.  One day I decided to wear a tie-dye shirt with tie-dye shorts with the exact same pattern.  She immediately told me never to wear that outfit again.

Thanks for letting me spotlight you this week, Alice!

And remember everyone, always be cute!

Hi! I'm Sarah Johnson, and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rhodes! I am a senior at Rhodes from Little Rock, AR. I am a Music major, I am a Research and Writing Fellow in the Curb Institute and I sing in the Women's Chorus. In my spare time I like to sleep, eat various snack foods, and watch beauty bloggers on YouTube. My main area of expertise is fashion. My personal style is definitely on the hip side of things, and my pattern of choice is stripes. Thirfting is my number one passion, and I hope to never pay full price for an item of clothing until I can actually afford it. I’ve recently noticed that I almost exclusively wear neutrals, which I am trying to remedy with the purchase of color, but it’s not working very well for me. I hope you all enjoy the articles I write and remember to always be cute!