Runway to Rhodes: Crop Tops and Belly Shirts–They’re Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

It’s time to start intense ab workouts (or just suck in your stomach) because the sun has begun to shine and crop tops are an emerging trend for the spring and summer. The crop top can be applied to different fashion styles and translated from casual to dressy depending what you pair it with. Although I love the full midriff baring tops, there are varieties of the crop top that the are perfect for more modest fashionistas. The goal behind pulling off this trend is not revealing too much, and a small top will look great with more conservative bottoms and  chunky bangles. 

I have this top from American Apparel and absolutely love it. Pair it with printed pants or a polka-dotted skirt (my favorite) to rock another one of springs big trends, mixed patterns.

This jean chambray top from Motel is Wild West with a touch of sass. Pair it with a maxi-skirt and combat boots to unleash your inner cowgirl.

For those not interested in baring their midriff, this top is a great alternative. The slit up the back and slightly exaggerated sleeves make this top subtly sexy.

This crop top could be considered little out there, but since I believe Hello Kitty is always a fashion must, it’ll be on its way to my mailbox as soon as it is back in stock. With the raised bow and face details, who could resist this cuteness?!

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.