Regina Simmons: Celebrating Her 8th Year with Rhodes College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

What exactly does Regina Simmons do? This is a question many students, faculty, and staff find themselves asking on a regular basis. Officially, Regina Simmons holds the title of the Director of New Student Programs. However, if we were to look at the weekly activities of Regina, we would see that her services to the college drastically exceed the expectations of her title. In her eight years with Rhodes College, Regina has served as an Associate Director in Resident Life and is currently the Director of New Student Programs along with an advisor for organizations, such as Kappa Delta, Mortar Board, Freshman and Sophomore Class Councils, The Big Diehl, and The Pack. Winner of the 2011 Excellence in Advising for Mortar Board and the 2012-2013 RSG/faculty/staff selected Outstanding Staff Awards (http://www.rhodes.edu/news/26518.asp), Regina Simmons daily demonstrates that her dedication and love for the college and its community are intrinsically related to the success of Rhodes students for years to come. 

Regina was born and grew up in Charleston, South Carolina. She attended Campbell University for both undergraduate and graduate school. Regina served as a missionary in Jamaica, went on to work with students at West Liberty State University, but eventually decided to accept a job with Rhodes College. When asked about Regina’s role with the college, nominators for the Outstanding Staff Awards stated, “Whether it’s reaching out to a student in crisis, organizing a leadership team to oversee new student programs, or enlisting the campus to raise funds for St. Jude, Regina brings energy, commitment and an unparalleled willingness to do the right thing in all her involvements.”

Regina Simmons serves as the very first staff member to be selected as a Her Campus Celebrity. Let’s find out why:

Burnett: Why Rhodes? What led you to seek out a position with the college?
 Simmons:  I wanted to work with high achieving students. I wanted a school where more was expected of students because I thought it would make me a better professional.

Burnett:  As you reflect on your 8-year anniversary with the college coming up, tell me about a moment or point in time you were most proud to work at the college.
 Simmo ns: I can  think of multiple: My 5 Alternative Spring Break trips, the Women’s Basketball Tournament last year, Move-In Day 2011, and the personal relationships I’ve formed with students that contributed to their success.

1. When I look back at the Alternative Spring Break trips, I think that those are some of the best examples I’ve ever seen of teamwork and students taking initiative. All of the trips and my experiences on them remind me of what’s best about Rhodes: service-minded students, students willing to take initiative, and great camaraderie.
  2. At the Women’s Basketball Tournament last year, I got to see one of the best examples of crowd participation and student support for athletes the college has seen. It was amazing to see the hard work of The Pack over the past two years develop and watch the influence it held on the spirit demonstrated at that game. https://www.facebook.com/ThePackRhodes 
  3. On my very first Move-In Day as the Director of New Student Programs, it was pouring down rain. I remember thinking to myself ‘Okay, I’ve got to find a way to motivate 60 PA leaders at 7:30 am to stand outside and move in new students in the rain with positive attitudes and a smile.’ I walked in the room and didn’t see a single person who wasn’t excited and ready for the day. That was a level of energy different than I had ever seen. I knew then that that’s the type of energy and group of people I wanted to be around. It was the best experience for my first year of move-in in my position that I could have asked for.

Burnett: If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming freshman, what would it be?
Simmons: Last year I actually asked this question to a group of outgoing seniors and I want to share a bit of what they sent me and what I took away from their comments:

1. Don’t try to get your foundations “out of the way.” You get a lot more out of classes if you’re genuinely interested in them.
  2. Don’t be dead set on a major or a course of study too early. Allow yourself to be inspired by the people that you meet and what you learn in classes because that can lead you down maybe a very different, but amazing path.
  3. I want students to be a people of the second change. Learn from the past, but move forward. Always offer an opportunity of grace.
  4. It’s your job to get an education. For every time that you don’t fully invest in your classes, you’re not doing your job. If you approach your 4 years as though your education is your job, you will leave here dramatically changed for the better. At least that’s what my dad told me.

Burnett: If you could give one piece of advice to a graduating senior, what would it be?
 Simmons: 

1. You’ll have a lot of people ask you what’s your plan this summer, five years down the line, and ten years down the line. But I think the more you allow for your plan to be shifted by passion and inspiration, the happier you will be in life. The more you focus on the details, the less you allow for opportunity.
  2. It’s okay not to know what you want to do with your life. I still don’t know what I want to do. 
  3. You’re going to hit a lot of road blocks, compare yourself to your friends’ successes, and feel like you don’t measure up. Don’t let that impact you. You can “pick happy,” and use this to decide how you respond to situations you come across. 

Burnett: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?
Simmons: The best pieces of advice I’ve ever gotten were from my mom and dad. At a time when I was really struggling with my next career path, my mom told me to,

1. “Look at the pros and then look at the cons. And then think realistically about what’s the worst thing that could happen? If you could live with what’s the worst thing that could happen, then that’s what you should do.”
  2. My dad once told me, “you can stand on the edge of hell for even a short amount of time. You don’t want to live there, but you can stand on the edge.”

Now for the fun questions…

Burnett: Favorite television shows?
Simmons: The Bachelor, Scandal, Revenge, Modern Family, and Friends.

Burnett: Best concert you’ve ever been to?
Simmons: Garth Brooks Benefit for Flood Victims of Nashville or Mumford and Sons.

Burnett: What food item do you most look forward to on Thanksgiving Day?
Simmons: Lasagna.

Burnett: Favorite Memphis Restaurants:
Simmons:

1. BBQ: Central
  2. Moderate: Local Downtown, Majestic
  3. High End: Flight

Burnett: Favorite Rat meal?
Simmons: Fiesta Del Sol

Burnett: What’s something we don’t know about you?
Simmons: I’m an open book. I think I tell people more than they want to know about me. But, when I was 13 I got in a pretty bad bicycle accident and I took all the skin off the right side of my face. The reason it’s funny is because I hit a parked car. Oh and my dad is Gene Simmons.

As another nominee wrote about Regina, “students seek her out for advice, faculty express appreciation for her assistance with students and in the way she manages programming for new students, and staff regularly asks her to partner with them on projects.” Maybe I’m just being a mushy senior on the tail end of Homecoming, but as a student who attributes my own success and personal growth as a leader and as an individual, I’d like to thank Regina Simmons for every ounce of hard work she invests into this institution. Whether it was a student’s Welcome Week experience, attending a sporting event, personal assistance with academics, helping a student find something to get involved in, or simply a friendly hello, in some way or another Regina had a part to play. I’m sure I would not be the only one if I stated that I firmly believe this college functions the way it does, and students leave this wonderful community for the better because of Regina Simmons.