Our Favorite Vegan Bar Chef: Mrs. Jessie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.
Mrs. Jessie Reed Walker, one of Her Campus Rhodes’s favorite staff members, has been at Rhodes for 24 years. We got to go behind the scenes to ask her sabout her cooking, her life back home, and even her first kiss.

What’s your favorite part about working at Rhodes?
“I enjoy the students coming in everyday saying, “Hi Ms. Jessie, How are you?” I look forward to it, each and every day. That makes me feel good. Makes me feel like I’m doing something right.”

Should we be expecting any surprises from your station this semester?
“I don’t want to let too much out of this hole yet, but they’re working on it. They’re going to have something new later like, every other day, instead of going my regular menu cycle. I’m still going to have my pasta, and my sweet fiesta, and all that good stuff, but sure we’re going to add something new and different.”

How did you become interested in cooking?
“My mom got me into cooking when I was a little girl, I say about ten or eleven. I had two older sisters and one younger sister and I had four brothers. My brothers were outside playing; that was where I’d rather be, but she got me off the ball field, football, softball field, and brought me in the kitchen and started me cooking.”

Mrs. Jessie’s Favorites

Celebrity Crush: Denzel Washington
First Kiss: When she was 14-years-old.
Perfect Guy: “Clean…has to look good, well-mannered, respectful, educated, and can carry a conversation with anybody…and he has to dress well, too!”

Thanks, Mrs. Jessie! We love you!  

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.