Music You Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

LCD Soundsystem: Underrated band. Their songs are often long and develop slowly but are artistically crafted with creative lyrics and relatable undertones. You walk away feeling known. Also, perfect length if you want to listen to one song on your drive home. – “Someone Great” and “Dance Yrself Clean”

Chance the Rapper: Wasn’t going to make it very far into this list before naming this guy. I mean, it’s all pretty much been said before, but Chance is an absolute genius of a creative artist. His manipulation of words is enthralling, exciting, and challenging. He’ll rhyme words that you didn’t even know rhymed, in ways you’ve never thought of. Also, amazing jam-out songs. Perks of listening to a lot of Chance include learning all of the words to a really sick rap and impressing your snapchat friends in a video of yourself singing it on your way home every day from school/work. You’re welcome, world.

• Literally all of his albums (Acid Rap, Coloring Book esp) and ALSO he has an insane feature in “Girls” by Joey Purp which has high memorization potential. Also, Sunday Candy.

Jamila Woods: I discovered Jamila Woods on a SoundCloud playlist with Chance songs, so you know it’s real. She has a captivating voice and strong messages. Really just an artist you can get behind from all angles. Unreal talented. Beautiful. Strong and perfect. Can you tell how I feel about her?

• YOU MUST GO LISTEN TO LSD feat Chance the Rapper RIGHT NOW. It couldn’t be more important. And then, ya know, literally anything else of hers.

Arctic Monkeys: I apologize, but if you aren’t listening to the Arctic Monkeys, you’re doing something wrong. I think they’re one of the strongest pillars of rock/indie rock that the 2000s have produced. Quality level on FLEEK, old and new stuff alike. A staple of any music connoisseur’s library.

• Album: “Whatever people say that I am, that’s what I’m not”….how could you not want to listen to that. Highlights include “I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor” and “Mardy Bum”. The album “Favourite Worst Nightmare” is also excellent, as is their newest.

Blink-182: Not to stray from the true artistry that I’ve been raving about for the past 4 suggestions, but I am a true believer of this Pop Punk staple. Blink-182 fulfills an otherwise unsatisfied niche in my music library with their simple angst and repetitive melodies. I listen to Blink-182 when I am in one of those weirdly bad moods, when I want to sulk, or when I want to angry run. It is perfect for all of those things. Also, I just really think that everyone should partake in a guilty pleasure and then stand by it, damnit!

• First Date, Rabbit Hole, Always, Ghost on the Dancefloor, The Rock Show, Adam’s Song

I’m gonna restrict myself to just five for now, but stay tuned for more!

Image credit: 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/chance-the-rapper-twitter-colo…