Lady Gaga’s Subliminal Superbowl Performance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

When Lady Gaga was announced as this year’s Super Bowl performer, many of her fans, including myself, were hoping that she would get political, particularly because of her significant activist role in the LGBT community. Prior to her performance, Gaga was contacted by the NFL Senior Vice President of Programming, Mark Quenzel, who told her that the performance must unite America, and he advised against her making any statements about the recent election. What Quenzel failed to keep in mind is that Lady Gaga is one of the most innovative, talented, expressive, passionate performers to ever dominate the pop music industry. While some Americans may have missed her metaphorical political statement, it immediately struck me as I watched Gaga’s performance on a projector screen in awe that Sunday night.

Despite the fact that her performance did not include any explicit political jabs at Donald Trump, Gaga’s glittery presence was filled with lyrics, clothing, and dance moves that inspired inclusivity among the American public. Not only did she arrive on stage in her trademark outfit, a one-piece leotard, but she sang “God Bless America,” followed by “This Land is Your Land,” which was a protest song for those fighting against Trump’s immigration bans and border walls. Later, Gaga sang her 2011 single, “Born This Way,” an anthem that explicitly alludes to the necessary self-empowerment of minorities including the LGBT community, as well as racial minorities.

The best part of her performance, however, was arguably her tribute to Barack Obama at the end of the show. By dropping the mic and suddenly exiting the stage, Gaga gave us an allegorical ending to her time just as Obama gave us one to his, ultimately saying, “God bless Lady Gaga, and thanks a lot, Obama.”

Pic Credit: GIPHY

Hi! I'm Nathalie Vacheron, a senior at Rhodes hailing from Germantown, Tennessee. I love to write, I love to edit, and I'm in love with the voice Her Campus gives to women across college campuses. In addition to Her Campus, I'm involved in my sorority, Tri Delta, work in the Counseling/Health Center, am a First Year mentor, and love to run when I can. I'm a Business & Commerce major concentrating in management with a minor in Psychology. I hope to go into health administration, community health, or work for a non-profit (and write a book somewhere in-between...) xoxo