books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to Survive Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

How to Survive Midterms

Midterms can be a really stressful time, especially if you have several tests on the same day. You have to review weeks worth of material in a short period of time, and it can be overwhelming to say the least. Here are some tips to help you survive midterms with less stress and more success.

1.Get organized

The first step toward making the most of the (probably very little) time you have to study is to get organized. Go through all your notes for the class and look for any areas where your notes are a little hazy or unclear. You probably need to review those topics the most, especially if you didn’t completely understand them in class. If there were any classes you missed (don’t worry, we understand), ask someone if you can see their notes from that day.

2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help

If you are having a hard time understanding a particular concept, don’t hesitate to go talk to your professor during their office hours. They are usually more than happy to help, and getting to know your professor can make your life a lot easier. Forming a good relationship with your professors not only makes it less daunting to ask for help outside of class, but it can also make it easier to participate in class discussions and ask questions during lectures.

3. Don’t forget to eat!

It can be easy to allow your priorities to get a little mixed up when you have a lot of material to study and little time to do all your work. But skipping meals will only make you tired and you will have less energy. Remember that self care is just as essential to your success as a student and to your happiness as a person.

4. Manage your time wisely

If you are easily prone to distractions while studying, it may be helpful to write out a time management schedule. It doesn’t have to be anything complicated, but mapping out how much work you need to get done within smaller timeframes can be a great tool for keeping you on track.

5.Take a break

Every once in awhile, it can be a real confidence and energy booster to step away from your laptop and textbooks and go outside or do something that you enjoy. You’ll find yourself feeling more energized and it also helps keep things in perspective. Go for a walk, or go get some ice cream. However, don’t forget that you still have work to do, and procrastinating will only make you stress.

6. Don’t panic

Depending on the class, it may seem like a lot is riding on your midterm grade. But remember that whatever your grade, your fate isn’t sealed. There is still half a semester to get your stuff together, and you have a lot of resources at your disposal. Use them.