How to Pack your Life in a Suitcase

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The most difficult part of preparing to go abroad for an extended amount of time is knowing what to pack. When traveling to a multitude of locations this task becomes even harder. If this is the situation you’re in then you will doubtlessly encounter a variety of situations and a wide range of temperatures you must prepare for. To save yourself (and wallet) from having to continuously go shopping, here is an idea of what to pack that will get you through anything that comes your way!

First and foremost, it is always a struggle deciding what clothes to pack. In a word: pack layers. Imma repeat that because it’s important: layer, layer, LAYER your clothes so you can pack less and have the most versatile wardrobe. A few dresses that can be dressed up or down, a heavy jacket and a light sweater, rain coat, thin tops that can be worn under coats, and some jeans are primarily what to bring. Unless you’re a Kardashian and wear heels everyday, bring only two neutral ones. One thing to keep in mind is if you’re going someplace with unpaved or cobblestone streets, make sure your heels are sturdy and can handle walking on these terrains. Keep all you clothes neutral or dark colors, it’s the most practical as it hides stains and increases the amount of outfits you can match and match.

Now that we’ve discussed the hard part, let’s move on to toiletries + gizmos and gadgets.  ADAPTORS are your friend.  ‘Nuff said. Check the voltage on your hair straightener/dryer etcetera, because you can and will damage these products if they are different (and they probably are) than in the US. On the bright side, laptop and phone chargers aren’t affected by the voltage change.  If you’re carrying on your toiletries, make sure the liquids are 100 ml or less so that they are TSA approved. If this is going to be a problem, then your best bet is to wait and buy what you need once you’ve landed.

Now that your suitcase is packed, go through it all and pull out anything you can possibly leave behind. No one ever regrets taking too little, but people definitely regret packing too much. 

Anthropology/ Sociology major at Rhodes College.
Hi! I'm Nathalie Vacheron, a senior at Rhodes hailing from Germantown, Tennessee. I love to write, I love to edit, and I'm in love with the voice Her Campus gives to women across college campuses. In addition to Her Campus, I'm involved in my sorority, Tri Delta, work in the Counseling/Health Center, am a First Year mentor, and love to run when I can. I'm a Business & Commerce major concentrating in management with a minor in Psychology. I hope to go into health administration, community health, or work for a non-profit (and write a book somewhere in-between...) xoxo