Henry Castner ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Name: Henry Castner

Hometown: Austin, TX

Year: 2017

Campus Involvement: Basketball, SAE, Mock Trial

Hobbies: Wake Surfing, Wakeboarding, Golfing

Her Campus Rhodes: What is one thing that you wish more people knew about you?

Henry Castner: I wish more people knew me for me and not just what gets tagged to me by other people and through the “Rhodes Grapevine.”

HCR: What do you look for in a girl?

HC: The main quality I look for in a girl is someone who lets me be myself around her, and someone who doesn’t have to pretend around me. There’s no need to be someone you are not.

HCR: What is the most romantic thing you’ve ever done for a girl?

HC: I don’t know if I’m the most romantic guy, but I was told that my random “just because it’s Monday” surprises were always nice and thoughtful.

HCR: If you could be a girl for one day what would you do?

HC:  I guess go shopping or lay in bed and watch Netflix. I’m not sure what girls really do all day. I’m still trying to figure that out.

HCR: What would you do if you won the lottery?

HC:  Put the majority of the money in an investment fund so I couldn’t spend it all. Give money to various non-profits. Buy myself a lake house and a boat. Renovate the SAE House and throw a party for Rhodes students.

HCR: What’s your favorite song at the moment?

HC: “Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra. You can never go wrong with the oldies or any song by Dave Matthews Band or Blue October.

HCR: If you could tell the past Henry something, what would it be?

HC: Spend more time with the important people in your life who actually care and have your best interests at heart, and spend less time with the “cool” and “popular” people who will eventually fade out of your life.

HCR: If you were elected President what would be the first thing you would do?

HC:  Day 1: Meet with leading economists and solve the economy, national debt, and unemployment problems. Day 2: Get in 18 holes before lunch.

HCR: What is your favorite quote or a philosophy you live by?

HC:  Ever since I was little, my mom has always told me that “What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular.” I try to remember those words when faced with a difficult decision. In addition, my grandfather always stressed “Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”  This quote from one of my favorite books, The Great Gatsby, sums up my philosophy of how I try to live my life. 

HCR: Do you prefer the mountains or the beach?

HC: The beach for sure. Can’t beat some fun in the sun.

HCR: Boxers or briefs?

HC: Boxer briefs … it’s the best of both worlds.

HCR: Do you have any hidden talents?

HC:  I’m not sure if I have any talents that are hidden. If wake surfing and wakeboarding are considered talents, then I guess those, or talking. I can talk to almost anyone from any walk of life and keep the conversation going. I’ve learned a lot from conversations I’ve had with off-the-beaten-path characters. 

Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!