This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

We’ve all heard it– breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I was practicalliy force fed as a kid because I hated eating in the morning, but now that I’m semi-responsible and waking up fairly early, I LOVE eating breakfast. But… I don’t always have time. As much as I love Mrs. Lavernne’s scrambled eggs, so does everyone else and if I have half an hour until class then the Rat isn’t an option. This recipe makes 6 ham and cheese egg muffins that are delicious AND cheap. 

Whatcha need from the store: 

-6 eggs (under $2 with Kroger card)

-Milk (under $1 with Kroger card)

-Shredded Cheddar Cheese (under $2 with Kroger card)

Repurpose from the Rat: 

-ham from sandwich station

-spinach from salad bar

-any other thing you want to add, but if you add too much they’ll overflow!

Preheat your oven to 400; in a bowl, beat together your eggs, a splash of milk, and salt and pepper (sometimes I like to add crushed red pepper for bite). Chop up your spinach and ham and mix in as well, and as much cheese as your heart desires (I’ve tweaked this recipe a lot and love onions and mushrooms in them too– the more additions the less you need of each!). Unless you have non-stick pans, definitely rub butter in the muffin tins; then pour your mixture evenly into the tins! Sprinkle with extra cheese on top, and put in the oven for about 20-25 minutes! They heat up in the microwave in under 30 seconds and taste just as great as they do fresh. 

Virginia Elizabeth AriailEnglish Major, History Minor @ Rhodes College co 2017Alpha Omicron Pi