Great Memphis Hangout Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Pop Quiz: What do Rhoents have that the rest of their friends at other universities around the country don’t?  Answer: The fantastic combination of a small, tight-knit liberal arts college and the entire city of Memphis as a playground! Not only do we have a beautiful and vibrant campus full of things to do, but we also have an incredible city full of opportunities for enrichment, relaxation and socialization our fingertips.  Here are some of the top places in Memphis to relax, study, or learn something new. 

Memphis Coffee Shops

Some of my favorite spots away from Rhodes probably aren’t what one would typically think of when they think of Memphis.  When I first came to Rhodes, I expected to see nothing but barbeque stops and Beale-esque bars.  I was surprised and pleased to find so many coffee shops in the Midtown area.  There are many in the area to choose from, for varying preferences.  There is, of course, Cafe Eclectic, which is a favorite of Rhodes students (The London Fog is my go to drink on a rainy day) and great for doing homework in the mornings or afternoons.  The Midtown location is walking distance, but if you’re looking to go a little further, Java Cabana is another favorite & a great place to sit back with some coffee and enjoy some local musical talent (no, not Elvis).  Besides these two, there are many more coffee shops around Memphis that are perfect for hanging out with friends, doing some homework or enjoying something besides your typical Pumpkin Spice Latte this fall.  

Memphis Zoo/ Memphis Museums

With the Zoo across the street being gloriously free on Tuesdays, and many museums around Memphis offering special deals (and sometimes free days as well) to students, it’s a perfect way to spend a free afternoon or time on the weekends.  Besides the educational factors that come with going to the zoo (personally, I could hang around the lions all day), there’s something tranquil about watching animals strut, swim and swing around in their habitats.  If you’re looking for something else, there are tons of museums around Memphis, with tons of varying options for your preferred historical and cultural enjoyment.  Taking an afternoon away from your classes to learn something outside the classroom is a great break while still learning something new!  Bring friends, organize a group, or take your time and treat yo self to an afternoon of enrichment.  

Overton Park/Shelby Farms

We all chose Rhodes knowing how small the campus would be, and how often we’d be running into people from our classes, activities and res halls.  But sometimes, we all need the chance to be outside playing sports, soaking up the sun or just goofing off without every single person we know passing by.  This is the time to grab a blanket, snacks, a frisbee and a couple of friends and head on down to Overton Park for a day of outdoor fun!  When the weather in Memphis is nice, it’s a great chance to get some sunshine and get off campus.  You can even take your homework for a nice change from the library scene.  If you’re looking to get even farther, Shelby Farms is great for kicking back or kicking it up a notch, with nature trails, playgrounds (swings, anyone?), bike rentals & more.  

Cooper Young District

If you’re looking for an upbeat, populated area to hang out, the Cooper Young District is the place to go.  If you’re looking to shop, Wish and Urban Outfitters are among some of the favorite clothing stores available, and they’re just down the street from the popular “I <3 Memphis" wall (very good profile picture material, tbh).  Further on, Mulan, Yolo, and Young Avenue Deli are some favorite food stops.  Perhaps one of the most fun things to do in the CYA is stop by the House of Mews.  Here, you can take the time to meet and play with some adorable kitties, a purrrrrrfect de-stress study break!

Olivia is a sophomore at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She is a Theatre major and also hopes to pursue an Anthropology/Sociology minor.  On Rhodes campus, she is a member of Kappa Delta sorority, serves as a Peer Assistant, is active in the Rhodes College McCoy Theatre, and is a member of the Rhodes Singers.  This past summer, she worked at Ann Taylor and now wears little else.  Olivia enjoys glitter, sprinkles, reading new books, scarves, stable WiFi, and playing in the snow.