Do’s and Don’ts: Mardi Gras Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

If you haven’t been down to Nola before, you are in for the time of your life. Parades and debutant balls have been occurring over the past month, but the celebration culminates the final weekend in February this year. Here is a list of dos and don’ts for you Mardi Gras virgins:

Do: Let your professors that you will be missing class. If a number of kids will be missing Thursday or Friday especially, they might cancel class. This is ideal that you wont be missing any information or playing catch-up on the car ride back Sunday when you are absolutely exhausted.

Do Pack for the Weather: New Orleans is significantly south of Memphis but the weather is just as unpredictable. Make sure to pack some green, purple, and gold.

Don’t bring your white converse or Adidas unless you are willing to part with them. Spilled drinks, dirty streets, and messy bar floors are your shoes worst nightmare.

Do watch out for Mississippi state troopers. They know everyone is racing to get down for the festivities, but a speeding ticket and fine will put a damper on the beginning of your trip (source: personal experience).

Don’t buy your alcohol until you get down there. If you do get pulled over, there is a possibility that the troopers will check your car. If you are not of age, you will get busted. Absolutely under no circumstance should there be open containers. In New Orleans alcohol is sold EVERYWHERE. Liquor is available even in convenience stores like Walgreens and CVS.

At parades or in public, keep drinks in a concealed container, or paper bag. Not open cups especially if you are not of age.

Be respectful of the police- they are present to keep everyone safe. They are not trying to get anyone in trouble, but they will intervene if you cause a scene. Mardi Gras is a family friendly event.

During day parades in particular, don’t stand in directly in front of the kids on ladder chairs. Locals do get territorial; they will block off areas days in advance for their friends and family. Don’t be offended if they ask you to move. I suggest you get to parades early to get a spot.

Don’t miss the day parades!!! Drink some coffee or energy drinks to wake up for those day parades. In the day time there is definitely more opportunity for good catches since you can be seen.

Do bring a bag for your catches. Your neck will get tired.

Don’t trust you cell phone for communication: Cell reception is notoriously HORRIBLE. Maybe set up a meeting spot if you get separated from the group.

Definitely carry cash. This sounds ridiculous but finding a restroom is an adventure in itself. Lines are long and some restaurants and stores will expect you to make a purchase to use their facilities. However there are some houses, especially on St. Charles that will have port-a-jons in their front yard or open up their restrooms in their house for a small fee.

French Quarter and Bourbon Street have fun but not too much fun- do keep your senses about you. It’s unlikely an unfortunate event will occur. But this area is typically filled with rowdy tourist.

Be aware that Uber, Lift and taxi rates will be sky high.

Most importantly do be safe driving back to Rhodes. Most car accidents occur on the journey home due to exhaustion. If you need to stay an extra day, missing class is way less important thatn risking a car accident or your life.

Do have a blast. There’s no way you won’t have THE best time.

That completes our list.  Laissez les bons temps rouler! If you have suggestions for a future Do’s and Don’ts list email us at: nathalievacheron@hercampus.com

Emma Brislin MacCurdy is a senior writer at Rhodes College. She is graduating in the Spring with a bachelor's degree in Commerce and Business. Email with any questions, comments, or suggestions: maceb-17@rhodes.edu.
Hi! I'm Nathalie Vacheron, a senior at Rhodes hailing from Germantown, Tennessee. I love to write, I love to edit, and I'm in love with the voice Her Campus gives to women across college campuses. In addition to Her Campus, I'm involved in my sorority, Tri Delta, work in the Counseling/Health Center, am a First Year mentor, and love to run when I can. I'm a Business & Commerce major concentrating in management with a minor in Psychology. I hope to go into health administration, community health, or work for a non-profit (and write a book somewhere in-between...) xoxo