pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Alix de Witt

HC: Why did you choose to rush?

AW: Growing up I went to an all-girls high school, so sisterhood has always been important to me. Finding a group of women to really connect with and girls who will hold you accountable and be there for you was important. I’ve just always been drawn to the idea of sisterhood. Rushing was just kind of a smooth transition for me from high school into college.

HC: What made you decide to pledge KD?

AW: I pledged KD because the women I knew who were seniors the year that I rushed were the girls that I wanted to be when I was done at Rhodes. I saw how KD shaped the lives of those women, and I wanted to be shaped in that way as well.

HC: Can you describe your progression of involvement in KD?

AW: Honestly I think if you asked any of my friends who would have been president of KD no one’s answer would have been me. Nobody. I was really drawn to the position of VP of Standards just because I think one of my strongest areas of leadership is through counseling and through being objective and helping people see a big picture and really bring it back to the values of our organization. Executive Board gave me an idea of how much KD meant to me. It was kind of a weird moment. We were sitting in a formal meeting of ours when a part of ritual came up, and that was the moment I realized that it’s the president’s job to affirm sisters as KDs and to affirm that the individual chapter is larger than herself. I decided I have some really good ideas about how to do that and I thought I would be good at being president and so I decided to run. I am privileged enough to have been elected by chapter.

HC: What kind of characteristics should the ideal president possess?

AW: First she’s got to know that she can’t do it alone. President does not mean dictator. You have to rely on your council, and you have to trust your council members. So I think having the ability to trust people is very important in a president. I think being able to delegate responsibilities [and] having the foreknowledge of people’s strengths and weaknesses is important. Being able to discern, “Am I putting too much on one person?” “Do I need to help my VP of recruitment because she’s really struggling during this recruitment season, so what can I do to help her?” In that strain it’s having a servant mind. Being aware that even though you are a leader, in the greatest way you are a servant to your chapter.

HC: Is there anything you’re nervous about doing since you’re just starting out your term as president?

AW: All of the Greek presidents went on a retreat over MLK weekend and one of the advisors said to us “If at the end of the term your chapter is still the same, you were not a leader; you were a manager. A leader makes change for the better.” So I think for me one of the biggest challenges I’ll face is making those positive changes and making KD better not only for each member of the sorority, but for the Greek community in general and for Rhodes.

HC: Can you describe your leadership style since you’re saying you want to be a leader and not a manager?

AW: I’m a go getter. I’m not afraid of change, and I’m willing to take the criticisms and especially the constructive criticisms I get and I’m really open to hearing everyone’s voice about the changes that we make but also remaining firm on points where I think I’m right or where I think council has made the right decision.

HC: What are you looking forward to accomplishing in your sorority this year?

AW: I really want to make philanthropy a more visible part of the Greek community and not be just sororities. I really want to create an environment where sororities and fraternities can come together and do service work. That’s one of my biggest ambitions for this semester and next semester is to have at least one semi-services day where we do service in the mornings with a fraternity and maybe have a lunch on Mud Island. Also that would be a way for us to have events with fraternities that don’t revolve around alcohol. A lot of girls (sorority women) I know feel pressured and fraternity men, even if they won’t admit, to kind of perform for a culture that is all about this hard core partying and I really want to provide an environment where that’s not a pressure.

HC: How do see KD’s interaction with other sororities being this next year and what are you looking forward to about that?

AW: Well I know in the past KD hasn’t been the most supportive of other sororities’ events. I think we support them in spirit but as far as getting out there and being actively supportive of other organizations that’s just not part of our most recent history. I think I would really like to change that hopefully through more interactions just between the sororities, perhaps even sorority swaps. We could meet together as organizations in times that aren’t just about competition, especially during recruitment.

HC: Do you have any advice for younger girls who want to hold leadership positions?

AW: My advice for a younger KD for any new member or sophomore who wants to hold a leadership position would be to invest in your organization and figure out why you’re there. If you’re there just to socialize than leadership probably isn’t the right positon for you. I think knowing why you love your sisters and why you love your organization are the only ways you’ll succeed in a leadership position.

HC: Describe a typical week as KD president.

AW: On Sundays we have council meetings, so all of our executive board meets together and talk about events that are coming up, issues that we’re having, organizing events or executing things internally. And we’ll sort of hash out ideas on how to approach areas of improvement. And also just going over general announcements. We have chapter meetings on Monday nights. And mostly during the week I’m in communication with a lot of people about KD so whether that be the campus liaison, the director of student activity, National Headquarters, the leadership development coordinator – She’ll be coming in a couple of weeks so I am planning her schedule, coordinating people to meet with her. And then just answering and engaging with sisters who have concerns or have ideas. And then social events on the weekend.

HC: Can you sum up why you like being president and why you love KD?

AW: There are so many reasons to be proud of KD. We have a group of the most real, well-rounded, and driven girls on this campus. Not saying that they aren’t in other houses. So it makes me proud to be president when I see my chapter doing well. When I see them thriving and being supportive of each other. Knowing that they living up to the high standards of KD. That’s what makes me proud.

~This interview took place in Spring 2015~

Hi! I'm Nathalie Vacheron, a senior at Rhodes hailing from Germantown, Tennessee. I love to write, I love to edit, and I'm in love with the voice Her Campus gives to women across college campuses. In addition to Her Campus, I'm involved in my sorority, Tri Delta, work in the Counseling/Health Center, am a First Year mentor, and love to run when I can. I'm a Business & Commerce major concentrating in management with a minor in Psychology. I hope to go into health administration, community health, or work for a non-profit (and write a book somewhere in-between...) xoxo