This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

In every class, you can spot that one ridiculous note taker who writes down most of what the professor says. You know the one: she uses an actual notebook instead of a laptop, always has her pen in hand ready to write quickly, and never takes herr eyes off the professor.

However, if you have not noticed that type of student, that says one of two things: one, you are that student; two, you just have not been paying enough attention.

I am that student in the majority of my classes. Each semester that I have been in college, without fail, at least one classmate comments on the neatness and slightly OCD quality of my class notes. Now, before you go off thinking that I am completely bonkers, just hold on a minute.

Did you know that taking detailed notes in class helps your brain retain information better? It’s true. Researchers have recently concluded that handwriting notes helps the brain call back information discussed in classes even better than digital notes.

Digital notes do have their benefits, though. For instance, it is much easier to type words than to handwrite each letter. Therefore, notes will probably be more accurate to what the professor said, rather than just having the main points jotted down on a slip of paper. In addition, digital notes are easier to share with others: No more waiting for a classmate to return your notes, you can just email the notes directly to your begging classmates.

But handwritten notes do allow for better understanding of the subject being taught. That’s why I, for example, don’t simply handwrite all of my class notes, but I color code them as well (I even have matching folders and notebooks…yeah, slightly OCD).

Here are some useful tips I have gathered on having organized notes:

1. Use different colors of ink.

Yes, black ink is the most common. However, using different colors intermittingly to take notes throughout a lecture makes the notes easier to read and remember at a later date.

2. Doodle, if you must.

Adding personalized touches, such as sketch drawings, to your class notes allows your brain to better recognize the notes.

3. Highlight keywords and phrases.

This tip might sound overboard but highlighting has been proven to help improve memory. The bright colors stand out in your mind amidst the normal, black ink.

4. Read your notes after class.

Do not be that student who takes notes in class and then ceases to remember the notes exist. Go back over your notes every once in a while in order to refresh your brain on important concepts before simply adding onto your supposed knowledge in class.

Taking handwritten notes can be a wonderful way to improve both brain function and class grades. Plus, you are a lot less likely to fall asleep if your brain is focusing on listening well enough to write down important phrases!