There’s No Place Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

“There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home.” Just like Dorothy we’re all probably screaming this at the top of our lungs as the semester comes to an end and finals are falling down on us just like the house fell down on the first wicked witch.

If only we had those ruby red slippers to click our heels three times and be home already. We’ve been traveling down this yellow brick road of homework and due dates and trying our best to survive the attacks of the wicked witch.

Whether your witch is professors, hard homework assignments or just adjusting to being in this college world on your own away from home, know that you will survive.

This school year has been a journey of learning and growing and honestly the entire college experience is all about getting back to home. We’re always on a quest to get back to home just like Dorothy whether that be your actual home, a person or a feeling.

Either way the journey hasn’t been completely scary because along the way you’ve been surprised with some amazing friends with their own issues, who hope to get their wishes granted. And thankfully they’re the kind of friends who can fight with you through the obstacles just like Dorothy and her friends scarecrow, tinman and cowardly lion.

Along the way of trying to find home, hopefully we discover in some form or fashion that the things we thought we didn’t have in us were there the whole time. I think for Dorothy home was a place of comfort and safety: not just the location, but a place within herself. Hopefully, you have been able to find a place, feeling, or person to call “home” since coming to college.

Even if home is still just a place, I think we’re all looking forward to going home for the summer and seeing our families and old friends. What’s better than getting the chance to relax and embrace a piece of who you were before you visited “Oz”?

I think the goal of Dorothy’s journey, and our journeys as college students, is to learn, grow and then appreciate home because no matter where you go and no matter who you meet there’s no place like home.

Photo Credit

Hey loves! I am Marlena Davis and I am a business major at Regent University. Although I love business I love writing even more. I have been writing ever since I learned to spell. I mostly write poetry, songs and stories but I have developed a desire to write about almost anything that comes to mind or things that I feel matter. I hope you enjoy reading all the articles to come.