Regent Students’ Response To An On-Campus Attack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Recently, there has a been a disturbance of the peace upon Regent University Campus.

Around 5:30 in the morning on January 17, an unidentified suspect assaulted a student in Foundation Hall and has yet to be found. The university has responded to the attack with “increased active patrol” and assured that the Campus Police will be working with the Virginia Beach Police “to conduct a thorough investigation of the incident.” However, while the university distributed this shocking news to the students, an even more shocking reaction has been spreading through the student body’s social media accounts.

Fear is a completely logical reaction to finding out that a fellow student was hurt in the stairwell of your dorm building. And this is the initial reaction that followed the news – but it was soon shrouded by a wave of both love and unity.

The positive reaction started with Life Group Leaders and Resident Assistants reassuring others through Facebook posts that they have nothing to fear. Soon after, male students chimed in and commented on the posts with offers to walk their female counterparts to their cars and dorms or accompany them across campus whenever they felt unsafe. These offers were welcomed with open arms.

Students started praying for their campus in groups and contacting each other to ask for company when walking to class or across campus at night. The most recent addition to this chain of events is the convening of several male commuter students before and after the female commuter Life Group meeting to walk them to and from their cars, making sure that they were safe. Among the men who showed up were Isaac Earlenbaugh, Ryan Connor, and Brandon Droz.

Olivia Shedd, one of the commuter Life Group Leaders studying education, had some comments on the event:

“I was so touched by the guys’ selfless willingness to protect our girls after the incidents this past week. Especially being commuters, it meant them having to make extra effort to drive out and make it happen! It was so kind and Christ-like, and I hope this attitude of chivalry continues even in times of peace and safety.”

As the days continue to pass after the attack, the strength and unity on campus only seems to grow. It turns out the violence and injustice of one man has only proved an opportunity to reassure the women on campus that there are still men out there who are willing to protect and care for them.

Joel Casanova is an eclectic man. Born in Chicago and raised in Texas, he wields the talents of writing, photography, dance, and music with a brain that is wired like entrepreneur (and is stubborn to boot). His long term goals include traveling internationally for work and living in Israel while his short term goals include loving everyone he meets as much as Jesus and sleeping.