Outfits Speak Volumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Dear Regent Freshmen,

Though it might not seem like it when you roll out of bed after five snoozes of an obnoxious alarm clock and rush off to your dreaded 8:00am class, it is crucial to your future success that you look your best.

On every college campus across the nation, you will run into students who arrive to classes in pajama pants and sweatshirts. In an attempt to not look like you just crawled out of bed, leggings and tank tops have become a fashionable substitute for sweatpants and t-shirts.

However, while these clothing choices might be comfortable and require little effort in the early morning hours, dressing in this manner will not do your future any favors.

Most colleges have some sort of dress code and, while it may not be front and center any longer, Regent has a suggested dress code for all students: Business casual.

Before you freak out and assume that “business casual” means wearing suits or dresses to class each day, allow me to explain what business casual dress looks like:

For girls:

1. A nice pair of jeans and a blouse.
  2. A skirt or pair of slacks.
  3. A dress.

For guys:

1. A nice pair of jeans and a polo or button-up shirt.
  2. A pair of slacks and a blazer.
  3. A suit.

Types of clothing that are frowned upon under the title of “business casual”:

1. Workout clothes.
  2. Sweatpants and sweatshirts.
  3. Pajamas

The way you dress for class shows professors and your fellow classmates how serious you are about your education.  

If you are struggling to find business casual type clothes, fret not!

1. Thrift stores always have a lot of high-quality options for low prices.
  2. Regent often receives donations of business clothes that the university gives away to students in need.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Do not wait until senior year to begin thinking about your future: your outfits speak volumes about your intentions.

Photo Credit