pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HCRU Interviews: Jessi Rapelje

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

This week, we caught up with one of our authors, Jessi Rapelje, to learn more about her writing process, major and advice for future HC writers!

HC: Major and Emphasis?

Jessi Rapelje (JC): “I’m just about to finish up my B.A. in Government with an emphasis in International Relations and Foreign policy. My minor is in Communications. After that (May 8th), I’ll be starting my MBA with an emphasis in not-for-profit management.”

HC: What’s your favorite part of being a writer for HC?

JR: I really like having a fun creative outlet. I spend a lot of time writing stuff that I have to write either for work or for school, so it’s fun to get to pick the topic and just have fun. Plus, I usually write about professional development stuff, which I really like. I didn’t have a lot of direction in that way, so I really hope my articles can help people who are looking for a little bit of direction and support too.”

HC: Do you prefer to “work-ahead” or procrastinate?

JR: It really depends on what my schedule looks like for the week. If it’s something I think I can pull together last minute and I really don’t want to do it, I push it off. Usually though I can’t really relax until everything I want to get done is done, so I tend to do a lot of work ahead of time. I only push off school though; I don’t push off work or personal projects.

HC: Are you a morning person or a night owl?

JR: I’m a workaholic. I can basically be up at any point in time as long as I can shower first, regardless of how much sleep I get. I can stay up for as long as I need to with enough caffeine– Monster Tea is my go-to. But if I don’t have anything to do, I loooove to sleep in late.

HC: What’s your writing process like?

JR: I usually get an idea that I really like at random times in the day when I can’t write it down. I think it over during the day and if the idea sticks I’ll write it down when I have some extra time: usually at that point I hash out a general outline with my main points. I like writing straight through after that– intro, body, conclusion– and then I read over and revise as I go. At the end I read it over at least once out loud to make sure I got everything. Sometimes I send it over to my editor (Robert) to get a second opinion. In my first draft I tend to write a little dry and academic, so he helps me sound more conversational.

HC: What’s your favorite class that you’re in right now?

JR: Right now, I’m actually only taking two classes, my senior thesis class and an American foreign policy class. I am really enjoying my senior thesis class because I get to explore a topic I’m really interested in and really do a deep dive. For most papers I don’t get to go as deep as I think I could. This one is a minimum of twenty-five pages so it’s a good chance to test my academic writing chops on a larger scale.

HC: What would you tell a person who’s thinking about writing for HC?

JR: Try it out! It’s really fun to get those ideas rumbling around in your head out on paper. Plus it’s a good way to practice and get a start on this type of writing if you’re interested in doing more later. It helps break me out of the cycle of academic papers and find a more personal voice again.

Photo Credit: https://www.pexels.com/photo/blurred-book-book-pages-literature-46274/