HCRU Health Week: Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Mental illnesses aren’t diseases. They aren’t contagious. Our mental health matters just as much as our physical or emotional health, if not more. Anxiety, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), and bipolar disorder are just a few examples of mental health challenges that plague a wide range of people each day. 

As someone who endured a severe depression in high school, I know that mental illness is a very dark place that so easily engulfs an individual. The last thing I needed was to be alone, and that applies to anyone else going through any mental setbacks. 

Therefore, here at Regent, students can fill out paperwork to receive counseling services that are free of charge. But wait! There’s more! Yes, you read correctly. Not only are the counseling services free, but there is also a therapy dog! 

Many people who struggle with their mental well-being are afraid to seek help because they either feel vulnerable, weak, or insignificant. Maybe they don’t know how, where to go, or who to talk to. 

Below is a list of common coping mechanisms: 

1. Journaling 

I have always found that writing things down is easier for me to express my feelings, rather good or bad. This also helps if you need to go on rants (and we all do), but you prefer not to tell people. 

2. Talking to someone you trust

Apart from professional help, all it takes is a trusted friend, mentor, or family member to stand in the gap. Initially, talking to someone about our challenges may seem scary, but it is worth it in the end. There isn’t a certain certification needed to speak with someone who is hurting about their struggles. There isn’t a catch for the hurting individual who wants to get some help from someone. 

3. Being active 

Moving around releases endorphins, which makes you feel good! Physical activities such as sports or yoga could also become an outlet. 

4. Eating good foods 

As odd as it may sound, the foods we eat definitely impact every aspect of our health. When we feed our bodies properly, our bodies function more efficiently. When we continually eat greasy or fried foods, our bodies begin to malfunction. 

Get involved or get help by checking out some of the following projects! 

Project Semicolon 

Walk in Our Shoes 

To Write Love on Her Arms

Love yourself! Know your worth! Never stop fighting and don’t give in! 

Cover, Image 1.

Hello there, beautiful people! My name is Monica and I am a freshman at Regent University, majoring in Psychology. As expressed through my HC articles, I have a passion for writing. I began my journey of creative writing during my freshman year of high school, and it's a hobby that really stuck with me. I have love for people, nature, and coffee! I hope you all find interest in what you read here. Love, Monica