The Day I Tried Something New

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

The other day, I tried something different; I broke routine. Instead of getting caught up in schoolwork and my usual group of friends, I spent some time alone.

I slid my notebook and laptop into my aqua blue and gray backpack before slinging it over my shoulder and setting off on a walk. Several minutes later, I found myself sitting in the prayer garden between the Chapel and the Welcome Center. All was quiet except for the bubbling fountain and tree leaves being ruffled by a cool breeze. With a glance at the chapel, I started sketching a picture of the tall building in silence. Then I began writing a poem, which was interesting because I had never been fond of poetry before. After about fifteen to twenty minutes, I packed up my things and headed back to the residence hall, feeling relaxed and ready to continue the day.

It’s important to take time out of your schedule for silence and solitude. Spend a few minutes in a quiet place today. Maybe you’ll want to bring a pencil and notebook to record thoughts or write about anything you’d like. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate since it isn’t meant to be a frustrating experience. Perhaps you would rather sketch or read a book.

The habit of spending a few minutes alone to gather your thoughts is important for maintaining balance in your life. Also, it provides time in your day to spend with God. Bring your Bible and meditate on Scripture. Talk to God in prayer or write about your finds, and let Him speak to you.

Even though fall break is over now, you can still make time for quiet reflection between classes.

Photo Credit