This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

I can’t be the only one out here obsessed with a cappella. With the premier of Pitch Perfect in 2012, a cappella has become even more popular than before. Vocalists are popping out of the woodwork, with some sounding like Beyoncé and Adam Levine, and some sounding like Ice J.J. Fish. No worries though, collegiate a cappella groups don’t sound like JJ Fish. In fact, on April 1, 2017, several a cappella groups from Virginia and North Carolina came to Regent for the first ever “Battle at the Beach” hosted by Regent’s own a cappella group, First Edition. I can vouch, they were pretty incredible.

Groups from ODU, UNC, and VCU were represented at the event. Let me just say, it was lit. If you don’t know, I am obsessed with music and sincere admiration for music artists. Singers who can sing without the backup music are especially fascinating to me.

I went to the performance alone because I really wanted to just be able to enjoy myself without having to depend on other people, and it was fantastic. Some of my favorite performances were from the CNU Usounds, CNU Take Note, and the ODU Monarch-key. I entered excited and left just as excited.

My snap story had about 50 videos of the different a cappella lineups and I was amazed at every performance. I was elated the entire time on the front row resisting my urge to get up and dance. I was totally enjoying the atmosphere and getting wrapped up in the sound. Some groups even had me singing along!

It was the first acapella performance I had ever been to. It really just made me appreciate what voices can do. One voice sounds much different than several voices together. I really appreciated how each person’s voice had its own role in the sound it just made it that much more enjoyable. The resonance of the sound in the room sent chills up my spine.

First Edition also performed, but did not compete in Battle at the Beach. It was my first time seeing them perform. I forgot how much talent we have at Regent University. In the years to come, I know that Regent’s First Edition will get better and better. Get ready First Edition, you’ll be playing with the big boys soon!

Image: Cover, Photo 1.

Tiyra is a senior at Regent University studying English with a concentration in communications. No, she does not want to be a teacher. She is a total advertising and marketing geek (she reads Adweek every morning and AdAge every month). She enjoys writing, reading, learning new things, and good music. She is a fan of Korean dramas, they're a lot of fun! If you're looking for her, you can normally find her where the free food is.