6 Ways To Combat Colds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

This week, something unfortunate happened.

I caught a cold.

It can be tough to balance schoolwork, spiritual needs, and a social life at college: try adding a cold to the mix! Fortunately, I’ve been taking the necessary steps to take care of myself and hopefully get better soon and protect my roommates from getting sick, too.

Here are a few things you can do to combat a cold if you are feeling under the weather.

1. Eat Healthy

This one is a little obvious, but very helpful. I stocked up on chicken noodle soup and oranges especially. It is better to eat less sugars and more fruit when sick, especially oranges.

2. Drink fluids

Another great thing to have is a cup of tea, preferably without milk or sugar because these are not the best for you when you have a cold. If you do not like the taste of unsweetened tea, then use lemon and a little honey to add flavor. It is very good for you! Also, drink plenty of plain water or even orange juice.

3. Keep tissues on hand at all times

Another obvious one, but I sometimes forget to bring tissues when I leave my room, especially when in a hurry to get to class. It may be a good idea to buy the small packs of tissues and keep them in your backpack at all times.

4. Keep your room clean

When sick, there is an obvious risk of passing along germs to roommates or even re-infecting yourself. Make sure to wash blankets, sheets, and pillowcases more frequently.Wipe down doorknobs, fridge handles, and cabinets with disinfecting wipes. Soaking your toothbrush in vinegar is a way to naturally disinfect it and prevent the spread of germs to your roommates’ toothbrushes if stored in the same place.

5. Get plenty of sleep

Avoid late night study sessions or staying up late with friends. Sleep is your body’s way of recharging and naturally healing itself, so take advantage of the opportunity to catch a few z’s. Don’t hesitate to take a nice nap during the day either!

6. If you need further help, visit the Regent University nurse’s office on the first floor of Constitution.

Keep these tips in mind the next time you catch a cold, which hopefully won’t be anytime soon!

Photo Credit