This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Okay, I’m going to be giving away all of my secrets here, so, I hope you guys can actually get something out of this or I’ll just have exposed myself for nothing. But anyway, here goes.

I know that a lot of us are getting to that point in our college careers where we are being invited to more and more events with “business casual” dress codes. The problem is that business casual is not exactly a rigid criteria and most people have very different ideas of what qualifies. One thing that is pretty consistent is that most people have this idea that dressing business casual means spending tons of money and being very uncomfortable. However, I have not found that to be true at all.

In order to explain what I mean by being able to dress in business casual wear cheaply, here are just a few tips on how to come across as put together, professional, or just not falling apart. These don’t take hundreds of dollars, hours of skill, or all that much effort. So, if you have an event coming up, or you just want to step up your game in general, here are some tips on how to look way more put together than you actually are.

1. Wear lipstick

Yeah, it’s that simple. This is one trick that I use almost every day, partially because I just love lipstick, but mostly because it works like a dream. Even if your outfit is fairly basic or casual, putting on lipstick automatically makes it look like you tried so much more than you did. You can try to find the perfect color and shade to compliment your clothing but, if that’s more effort that you want to put in, a classic red is always a great choice. A classic red lipstick can elevate even just jeans and a t-shirt to a whole other level. This tip works wonders for everyone, even for days when you don’t care to look extra feminine. You can go for a darker matte color and still have a similar effect.

2. Shoes are everything

This is one trick that most college kids I know don’t use but that works so, so well. Shoes can make or break a look, especially when it comes to looking professional. Even if you have your make-up on and a nice outfit, if you’re in ratty Toms or grimy sneakers, you’ve thrown off the whole effect. But you don’t need to shell out hundreds of dollars or cram your feet into hideously uncomfortable pumps to look put together. Almost every thrift store has an abundance of men’s dress shoes, and those are a gift from heaven. Not only are these affordable and comfortable, but they add such a layer of class. But don’t worry if you’re more of a feminine dresser; a lot of men’s dress shoes can very easily be paired with a dress, nice socks or stockings, and a blazer to keep the look feminine.

3. Blaze(r) it up

Speaking of blazers, a blazer is your best friend when it comes to making things classy yet comfortable. Again, thrift stores usually have a ton of these, but even if you have to shell out some big bucks to get a well-fitted blazer, I say go for it. Blazers can make just about anything look so much more adult. Jeans and graphic tee? Cute patterned dress? Tank top and skater skirt? All of these looks can be transformed into business casual appropriate with the simple addition of a good blazer. Also, what is great about this tip is that there are so many styles of blazers out there that pretty much fit whatever your style is: whether it’s more femme or more masculine, you can still find a great blazer that fits your look.

And on that note, go forth, lipsticked, well shod, and blazered up, into the vast, often confusing world of “business casual.” You’re sure to learn what works for you best the more you try things, but this is just the starter kit – your basic tools, if you will. So, go on, have fun and make up your own rules as you go along.

Photo Credit

A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram