Write a Novel This November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Write a novel?  What?!  That’s ridiculous!  It’s the middle of the semester, final projects and essays are beginning to pile up, and there is a ton of turkey to eat.  But it is also National Novel Writing Month!

Each November, thousands of aspiring authors around the world participate in what is fondly referred to as NaNoWriMo.  They huddle around their laptops and notebooks with coffees in hand and attempt to reach their shared goal—to write 50,000 words between Nov. 1 and Nov. 31. 

November is busy, and so are you!  Despite all that, sit down and write a novel.  Writing a book seems like one of those “bucket list” goals, the sort of thing you say you’ll get around to someday.  But thinking like that will never get you anywhere.   If you want to write a book, you have to, well, write it.  NaNoWriMo sets an achievable deadline and goal for you.  So why not, at the very least, give it a shot?

NaNoWriMo was founded in 1999 by Chris Baty, a man who dreamed of writing a book.  He and 21 friends and colleagues in the San Francisco area participated in the first annual NaNoWriMo (in July, at the time), but only Baty and few others succeeded.  Since then, NaNoWriMo has gained popularity, crossing the 300,000 participant mark in 2013.

NaNoWriMo hosts a comprehensive website that allows authors to update their word count, post information about their novels and communicate with fellow writers through discussion forums.  As the organization grew in popularity, it attracted the attention of many published authors and editors, some of who now offer advice and online “pep talks” to users.  They also host regional “write-ins,” where you can go to various public places and write alongside other participants from your area.

The beauty of NaNoWriMo is that nothing needs to be perfect, or even finished.  Often times, writers will reach 50,000 words without concluding their stories.  This upcoming month is simply about getting words onto the page.   Editing comes later, whenever you decide.  All you need is an idea to start, and it does not have to be a fully fleshed-out idea, either, because stories constantly evolve when they are being written.

Baty has also written a book entitled “No Plot? No Problem!” to encourage writers to participate in NaNoWriMo.  The first part of the book is dedicated to the planning process, which is then followed by chapters specific to the weeks of November and potential issues that often arise during the writing process.  He reminds us to seize this opportunity to write, because “with each passing era, a new novel is possible.  And a potentially great novel you could have written slips away into noveling oblivion.”  You can order this book from the organization’s website if you want that extra push of inspiriation.

NaNoWriMo is about giving writers (and non-writers) the chance to experience noveling.  It provides a sense of accomplishment.  Even if you fall short of the 50,000-word goal, you have written more than you would have if you did not try at all, and that is something worth celebrating.

Will any of you Bobcats be joining me this November?  Check out www.nanowrimo.org to sign up and participate!

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!