The Woman Behind Hamden’s Hot Spot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

On any given Wednesday night, Steve Gullo can be spotted meandering through crowds of college students collecting empty pitchers and occasionally stopping for a quick hello with friendly faces. He smiles and chuckles deeply at the drunken karaoke singers on stage belting country songs.
His wife, Leslie, is greeting the regulars with a hug or singing along to karaoke with groups of college student. Her short  curly hair, thick black glasses and constant smile can be seen across the bar. Upon walking into Whitney Bar and Grill, it would be difficult to tell that the outgoing, involved couple are actually the establishments’ owners.
“Our strategy was to make them feel like they are in a warm environment,” said Leslie. “So, that’s why my husband and I are always out on the floor when people are here trying to make them feel comfortable.”
Leslie has a background in social work, but her and her husband decided they wanted to go into business for themselves. The Hamden residents for more than 20 years have enjoyed having the business so far.
“We’re having a great time,” said Leslie. “We’re meeting our personal business goals.”
Since opening in August 2010, Whitney Bar and Grill featuring Rosie’s Pizza Restaurant, known affectionately as “Whit Bag” by the local college students, has been wildly successful. Located right off Whitney Avenue in Hamden, Conn., has established itself as the Wednesday destination for 21-year-old residents, but there is still not a set schedule for customers.
“That’s the one thing about the business so far. We have not been able to project which night is going to be the busy night,” Leslie said. Either way, Leslie said the bar is always prepared with plenty of food and drinks.
Leslie serves as the manager and handles the day-to-day running of the business, while Steve shows up at night. On Thursday afternoon, she is just arriving to the bar around 1 p.m. and starting her day as she does every day, by sweeping the front of cigarettes ashes and cups.
“My chief goal is to keep things clean and safe,” she said.
In addition to cleaning, Leslie handles the ordering, staff, cooking, alcohol purchasing, and any other physical changes to the establishment. Even the liquor licenses at Town Hall are in Leslie’s name. “I’m in charge of everything,” she said.
One of the successful business practices was listening to students about what they wanted out of Whitney Bar and Grill. Over the summer, senior Adam Horgan would frequent the bar and give Steve information about the town and the needs of the students.
“Steve and I would start talking during happy hour,” senior Adam Horgan said. “We would be talking about what kids want and how they’d be attracted to spend money somewhere because most are on a limited budget.”
Horgan advised Leslie and Steve to build a rapport with the customers, offer drink and food specials, become known for weekly events, and help out the Quinnipiac community. Through this, Horgan was able to get to know the staff before many students got back to school.
The staff at Whitney Bar and Grill have also gained customers by promoting the restaurant in local newspapers, reaching out to local groups, utilizing Facebook and even holding and catering parties in the second room.
“Leslie has always been warm, welcoming, open, and excited. She puts her heart into everything, and keeps an open mind,” said Horgan.
Their personalities have had an enormous impact in connecting with costumers. “Everybody has enemies, my husband has no enemies. Everyone likes my husband,” said Leslie. “If somebody wants to tell me something, I stop and I listen to what they’re saying.”
Part of the homey atmosphere is purely physical. Whitney Bar and Grill feels like you’re best friend’s finished basement. Upon walking in, the front room is divided into two sections. To the right is a seating area leading up to the karaoke stage. On the left is the main bar area, with high top tables and a three sided wood bar where bartenders Jim and Jay can be seen serving drinks, carrying in kegs, or leaning casually talking to costumers. Jay has even been known to steal a French fry or two from unsuspecting regulars.
In the second, carpeted room is an air hockey table, two pool tables and some seating against the wall. There are two dartboards and a giant television against the far wall.
“[Whitbag] is one of those places that feels like a home when you get there,” senior Sarah Moler said. “The bartenders, entertainers and the doorman really go out of their way to get to know you.”
Part of being a homey environment requires keeping your patrons safe. “We don’t serve anyone who is already intoxicated and if someone becomes intoxicated we stop serving them. And if someone is intoxicated and is not handling themselves well, we assist them in getting home,” Leslie said. “We are all about Quinnipiac students getting a good education and having clean, safe fun.”
The owners also provide coupons for designated drivers to come back another time and have a drink as a reward for safe habits.
The Rosie’s Pizza Restaurant aspect was a way of differentiating the new business from the former Whitney Bar and Grill, but Leslie is shocked at how popular the food has become.  
“We’re very surprised that people love our food so much. They love our pizza; they love our food. We have very different classical and authentic Italian dishes,” she said. Leslie has noticed more people coming in earlier on Wednesdays to eat before a night of karaoke. 
Despite a new push from Side Street Grille to draw in customers on Wednesday nights, Leslie insists there is no competition among the Hamden bars. Her family frequents many of the local restaurants and bars, and Leslie is a huge fan of Side Street Grille. “The best burger on the strip is the Cindy Crawford,” she said in reference to Side Street favorite which is topped with Cheddar cheese, bacon and barbeque sauce.

Whitney Bar and Grill is located at 3352 Whitney Avenue in Hamden.

Photo Credit: http://www.whitneybarandgrille.com 
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1499475940

Johana Gutierrez is a Public Relations student at Quinnipiac University with a minor in International Business. She comes from a city life area in the Southern part of Connecticut.At Quinnipiac, she is the Alumni Relations Director for the International Business Society and member of PRSSA. This past summer, Johana interned at Live Nation Entertainment in NYC. In her free time, Johana enjoys going to concerts, listening to music and being in the company of her friends. She hopes to to continue her experience in the entertainment industry and ideally end up working at a record label.