What’s Tinder and How Does it Work?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

There’s an app for pretty much everything, ranging from tracking calories to finding the best restaurants in town. But, did you know there’s also an app that rising in popularity among college students?

It’s called Tinder, and it’s a dating app that matches you with people in your area. For those of you who are interested in online dating, then you’d enjoy Tindering (touché). To see how it really works, I decided to download it and get the basics on how it works!

How it works: When you first download Tinder, it gives you a mini tutorial on how to use it. However, the tutorial isn’t really needed since it’s very simple. To get started, you have to sign in with your Facebook account (no fear, it says it won’t post anything to your wall).

After pinpointing your location, Tinder starts its job and begins to pair you up with people in your area. And from then on… the matching begins! Pictures of local “singles” in your area (who also use Tinder) become available, and it’s up to you to decide whether you like or don’t like the person (in other words…attractive or not). Dragging the picture to the left indicates that you’re interested, while dragging it to the right indicates that you’re not. If you aren’t not into the whole dragging process, there’s an “X” for not interested and a heart for “like”. And let’s say you want to know exactly how far away your eye-candy is…then just hit the “i” and the distance comes up.

If it turns out that the person you liked likes you back, then it’s possible for you to send a message and start chatting away!

After trying out Tinder and getting the hang of it, I say that it’s pretty darn entertaining! I mean, who wouldn’t want to see a bunch of attractive faces all in one place…with the drag of your finger. When you’re bored, go on Tinder and start browsing your options.

So I say, try this out, Collegiates, but be careful. No matter how trustworthy these people may seem, it’s still possible for them to be pretty dangerous. So, try not to give out too much personal information.

Tinder away!

Print Journalism major with a passion for fitness, health, life, and the simple things. If you want to read more of work, check out my blog: http://naturallymel.wordpress.com/