Vamp up Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Vamp up your Dorm Room

We all know our dorm room is our home away from home and I think a lot of girls can relate to the fact that the move-in process is far from organized. Every year we go in to our room with the best intentions to make it look like an ad from Pottery Barn. More times than not, this notion is replaced by a Marilyn Monroe poster and the slogan “Keep Calm and Carry On” posted somewhere above our beds (I know that’s what my room looks like). For some reason, stores like Michaels charge an arm and a leg for something as simple as stickers for your wall. Here are a couple really cheap ideas to spruce up your room to make you feel more ‘at home’ for the remainder of the school year:

–          Go pick up a couple issues of Vogue/Marie Claire, rip out (nicely) the ads and make a collage of your favorites on your wall or in your common room. It is definitely an attention grabber and takes virtually no effort/time.

–          Most college campuses don’t allow candles because they are a fire hazard but incense can go a long way, put one on your desk and in your bathroom. This little addition makes a huge difference. What would make you feel more at home than the smell of cinnamon or warm apple pie?

–         Go to an antique store and pick up a patterned lamp shade or antique mirror, little touches like this can make your ‘typical dorm room’ look vintage and homey.

–          Along with your comforter, get a really comfortable and colorful throw blanket. While the added warmth will come in handy when your school decides to ration heat, it also looks adorable!

–          Pictures. Pictures. Pictures. Nothing will make you feel more at home than walking into your room after a long day of classes and seeing the faces of your friends and family. If this gets you homesick, buy a dry-erase board and write a countdown to home and stick it next to your pictures, it will give you something to look forward to which is always great motivation for getting schoolwork out of the way.