V-Day: If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Join ‘Em!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

What seems to be the worst time of the year for a single girl comes every February as a wake-up call from loneliness. We all can’t be taken at this time of the year, but there is a way to snap out of the Valentine’s Day blues.

Remember when you were little and the best part of the day was passing out a million valentines cards to all your friends? Do that now! Tell all your roommates to make little mailboxes and stuff them with Valentines. Everyone can write corny sayings on them, and the more creative people can even make their own. If you’re more into the store bought kind, pick up a pack and write things you love about your friends to put a smile on their faces.

If that’s too silly, you can always host a movie marathon with friends and snack on some popcorn and V-day chocolates!
The best part of the day is always the chocolate. Go to the store grab yourself a box and pick out your favorite chick flick. If you can’t beat them, join them! It can be a funny romantic comedy or a sappy love story. Either way, you’ll get to feel all lovey-dovey without having to be in love. There will also be plenty of Valentine’s Day episodes of your favorite shows if you want a quick fix. If you’re out of chocolate, ice cream is always the next best thing. With Wentworth’s, Kelly’s Kone Konnection, and now Peachy Keen all minutes away, you can’t go wrong!

If movies and chocolate don’t cut it, why not make it a candlelit party for you and your single girls? Heart shaped courses, red desserts like Jello, and a fun table setting will make you remember that love isn’t just to be shared with boyfriends, but your girlfriends too. If cooking isn’t your thing, you can easily grab a cute tablecloth, find a cute craft on Pinterest, and put on your favorite love songs.
Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a reminder of the boyfriends you don’t have, but a time to love the girlfriends you do have.

Photo Sources: HeatherBullard, Pinterest.com, Pinterest.com

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.