To Thine Own Self Be True: Blind Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

As any girl will know, the “single girl” among any given group of friends will inevitably be asked if they want to get “set up”. Every taken girl loves to take pity on her single friends and play match maker so in comes an influx of single guys she met in class, boyfriend’s friends or roommates and sometimes even ex-boyfriends.

About two months ago, one of my really good friends approached me with an offer. “Sarah, my guy friend saw you on your facebook and thought you were really cute and wants to get set up on a double date.” Lola told me all about him and I thought, why not? It can’t be that bad. How naïve I was.

The following Friday, I sat inside the Olive Garden patiently awaiting my date and my friend’s boyfriend with Lola. They were already 15 minutes late (which is never a good sign) but in he walks. He was cute and seemed like a nice guy.

We were finally seated and the first thing the boys do is order the biggest bottle of wine I have ever seen. As he described more about his activities and the things he likes to do, the more I drank. The more I drank, the more he filled my wine glass up or ordered another bottle. Now keep in mind that on a VERY good drinking day, about three glasses will basically knock me on my ass. By the end of the evening I would say that I single-handedly killed an entire bottle and needless to say I was VERY drunk.

The dinner came to a close and the invitation was extended to go back to my date’s house. I panicked. He did end up being a nice guy, but I was so not into it. He was not my type. I drunkenly excused myself to go to the restroom and made a frantic text to my roommate Emma. “SOS”. Now this was a code we came up with long ago that if this was texted to our roommate from another roommate that was on a date we needed to call them with some sort of an emergency.

Faithfully, 10 minutes later, I get a call from Emma. In the most dead-pan, monotone voice I have ever heard, Emma says “My boyfriend and I broke up. I am going to need you to come home.” Thanking god for Emma’s cleverness, I asked my friend to drive me home “so that I could take care of my roommate.”

Tips for Blind Dates

1. Usually Blind Dates are not the best ideas. Only you know what you like and are attracted too. Pick up your own men!
  2. For any date, make sure a roommate or a trusted friend knows you are there. Come up with a code word and make sure your friend is able to get you out of there when a date turns sour.

Wishing you the faith in yourself, the hope for your future and maybe a little bit of love.

Leigh is a senior print journalism major and sociology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys traveling, writing, photography, watching Sex and the City, going out on the town (of Hamden) and laughing with, and at her housemates. In the Summer of 2009, she interned in Los Angeles at Genlux Magazine and Red Light Public Relations. She studied in Barcelona in the Spring of 2010 where she learned the true importance of life from the Catalan people. She is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and was a recruitment counselor during formal sorority recruitment in February. It has been rumored that due to her consistent honesty, she has no secrets of her own. Leigh loves her university and is having the time of her life as a senior. She has only had a few minor freak-outs about her upcoming graduation to date.