For Our Guys: How to Better Understand Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Many guys I’ve come across have said that women are way too complex…that while they love us, we’re too hard to read and they wish we were open books.

For one, being complex is a flattering compliment.  But are we really that hard to read?

According to Psychology Today, women want to feel connected in a relationship.  Being on the same page as your partner makes things easier and indicates that the effort you both are putting in is worthwhile.  Imagine putting a lot of energy into something and getting nothing in return.  Exhausting, right?

Communication is also key to any successful relationship.  Be sure to listen to what she is saying, guys.  It shows her that you care and are taking the time to listen.

So let’s say you have the foundations down, but there are just a few things she does that leave you feeling a bit like…

Here are a few of those quizzical things girls do, decoded for your benefit:

When a girl says… “Okay, that’s fine,” and gives you this look…

What this means: It isn’t fine.  Whatever you’re going to do—don’t do it.  The tone of her voice alone is a clear indicator of whether or not it is “okay.”  And her face should say it all.  If there is a smile attached with these words, then definitely forget about whatever you were planning on doing.

When a girl… sends a novel via text message

How to handle it: Do not answer with less than 10 words.

She grew extra fingers to type that—it wasn’t easy.  What’s even worse is responding with “Kay” or “okay.”  That’s essentially telling her you didn’t read the text– and even if you didn’t, don’t let her know.

When a girl… puts a period on the end of her text

What this means: She’s pissed.  If she never ends a sentence with a period and then suddenly you spot one—dundundun.

When a girl says… “Just leave.”

What to do: Don’t leave.  Stay and try to work things out.

Most of the time you should not leave.  Depending on the situation, a warm embrace will calm her down.  Or, if she’s really heated, remain in the room and stay calm and quiet until she does the same.

When a girl… asks a question

What this means: Chances are she already knows the answer.

What’s she doing is probably checking to see if you guys are both on the same page.  Answer truthfully because one lie may cause the conversation to go from zero to 100 real quick.

When a girl… gives you the silent treatment

What you can do: Text her—it shows you care.  Be persistent.  I’m not saying you have to leave 100 voicemails, but a text or call will prove your effort and will make her feel like…

While this list may seem a little crazy to you guys, we’re really not that demanding.  Complex?  Yes.  Hard to read?  Not really.  While it’s been said we are “emotional,” women pretty much wear our hearts on our sleeves!

Print Journalism major with a passion for fitness, health, life, and the simple things. If you want to read more of work, check out my blog: http://naturallymel.wordpress.com/
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!